Cross camera pic recognition

imnunky

Just discovered something, To me quite interesting
Came across a 1 GB SD card, that I new had images on it, so to find out how many I popped it into my D7000, pressed play, " File has no images" Hmmm, so I popped it into my D90 lo and behold 12 images, so just be sure I tried the D7k again, same message, so for the heck of it I snapped a pic, yup it worked, so I have a camera that does not recognize pics taken with D90, but then I put that same card back in the D90 to view the pic I took with the D7k and it did not show up, just the original 12, so to carry on this experiment I now call it, I took out the 8 GB SD card from the D7k that had images and popped it into the D90 and guess what "File has no images",
I am not concerned with the preceding, and as this was a by chance happening, I will not be doing this again, I also read every page in the manual relating to Cards, nothing was mentioned in this regard, except on page 319 it mentioned write speeds for movie recording, Anyone have any thoughts

Joseph Bautsch

If all the shots were taken with either the D90 or the D7000 then they all should be readable by either camera. That's the theory anyway. I believe the manual also states that a SD card should always be formatted in the camera it will be used. That may be a clue that there could be cross over problems. Try putting the SD card in a reader and see if the shots will down load to your computer. Another another possibility is the card has been sitting around for some time and became corrupted in some way. So one of the basic rules in using a digital card is to re-fomatt on a regular basis. I always re-format mine after downloading and archiving the shots it contains.

PavementPilot

+1 for formatting every time I have dumped the contents to the HD

Ok here is a thought. Were the images shot on the D90 in RAW. Were the images shot on the the D7000 in RAW. I believe there were some changes to the RAW between the two, as there was a patch put out by Nikon. Try this same experiment with JPG and see what happens or vice versa if they were JPG first.

Last edited by a moderator:

imnunky

Joseph,
I was under the same impression as you re readability in cameras,
The card is a backup and will not be formatted, for obvious reasons, and the reason I started the process is because it was not put with others, so I was just checking it out, I do indeed format all cards in camera, and yes the card in question is recognized by my computer, the extra pic taken on the D7k also shows up, there is now 13 instead of 12

PavementPilot
I only use Jpg as I do not have any manipulating software, If I can't get the pic I want in camera yadda yadda, plus I do not have the time,
Thank you both kindly for your input, as stated above this realy does not bother me, just hoping for a "WHY IS IT" ???, and I doubt I will be contacting Nikon with this

imnunky

Pavement Pilot
Yes I do understand, But seeing as how I am still learning camera's I will leave that aspect alone, 'till I am more versed, thank you any way, Slow learner Tehe

Obir

Interesting...did the same test with my s6000 and it can read the shots from my d7000 but not the other way around. It also reads "folder contains no images". Maybe it is looking for its own folder.
I have 3 other cameras and they all can read each other's files.

imnunky

Hey Obir,
Maybe it's just unique to D7k, I wasn't going to but I sent inquiry to Nikon no reply as yet, I loaned my D50 out so I cannot test it,
Does your D7k read all your camera's???

imnunky

Obir and to all D7k and D90 owners
Would you believe at 7pm this evening March 1st I received a reply from Nikon, and this is what they said,
Quote:-
"When the memory card is inserted inside of a new camera, will create a folder to store the pictures. In this case, you need to select an option that will allow you to display all folder inside of the memory card. To do se, please press the menu button, then, please go to playback menu and select the playback folder option. Inside you will have an option to display, select all and press OK. After this is done, you will be able to see all the pictures taken with the D90 in the D7000".
Unquote
And yes it worked, I have also changed my D90 over as well yup it worked as well

Last edited:

imnunky

Good news.
I'll change mine too.

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Just a reminder to all those that don't use this feature, it is how ever there for a reason, we will all get the benefit of it over time, your welcome

Last edited: