TC-200 with 105mm f/2.8

traveler582

I just bought the TC-200 and paired it with my 105mm f/2.8.

If I was shooting flowers with my D5100 and 105mm f/2.8 lens at f/22 and 1/200 sec and an ISO of 200 without the teleconverter and now I add the TC-200, it doesn't show the f stop, which I did hear about, so then what f stop is it shooting at?? can I adjust it? Or is it shooting at double the f/ 2,8 = 5.6?

And I'm not too impressed with the pictures I did shoot, it was indoors and I used the R1C1 flash system and they came out a little dark, so I bumped up the ISO to 600 and the brightness came much better, but the sharpness just wasn't there. Is this what I can expect from the TC-200 in terms of sharpness?

I do realize I might be being a little impatient and should 'play' around with it a little more….

Thanks!

Last edited:

LensWork

Which 105/2.8 Micro do you have? If is the current AF-S G lens you cannot control the aperture, it will be at the minimum, in this case f/32. With the 2x on, the aperture will now become f/64. I would not expect this to be a sharp combination.

pedroj

What brand of TC...Post a pic and add the exif data aperture and shutter speed...

I have a by 2 TC and hardly ever use it...Mine suffers from C A and the images are not all that sharp

traveler582

It is the AF-S MICRO NIKKOR 105mm 1:2.8 G ED model, and you say this is shooting at f/64?? Yes, no wonder, think I'll be sending it back….. Much thanks