Hello from Colorado

pontoon_cat

Hi All! I'm the proud new owner of a Nikon D5300. This is my first Nikon, and I would describe myself as a casual/hobbyist photographer. Been shooting on film point and shoots and since I was about 8 y.o. (first camera was an old clunker Vivitar that actually still works!). Switched to digital around 2002 with a Nikon Coolpix E4300. This is my second DSLR (first being a Canon Rebel XTi (400D) that was unfortunately relinquished from my possession), and I am looking forward to becoming a more active photographer.

Cheers!

pontoon_cat

Welcome pontoon.....5300 is a great camera....

Went out shooting with it this weekend. Really enjoyed the camera. Menus were quite easy to navigate, was able to quickly get in and out of settings. Part of that might have been the exorbitant amount of time I read the manual and tips people posted online :)
I was also pleasantly surprised how well the HDR mode in the camera worked. Obviously if the contrast between light and dark is too great, it wasn't that effective. But in a pinch when there was some back lighting on my subject, it worked quite well in camera! And the results were instantaneous (the camera stitches the two exposures together right away).
Didn't really have a need to use the 70-300mm yet, stuck with the 18-140mm. Seems like a very versatile lens so far.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Went out shooting with it this weekend. Really enjoyed the camera. Menus were quite easy to navigate, was able to quickly get in and out of settings. Part of that might have been the exorbitant amount of time I read the manual and tips people posted online :)
I was also pleasantly surprised how well the HDR mode in the camera worked. Obviously if the contrast between light and dark is too great, it wasn't that effective. But in a pinch when there was some back lighting on my subject, it worked quite well in camera! And the results were instantaneous (the camera stitches the two exposures together right away).
Didn't really have a need to use the 70-300mm yet, stuck with the 18-140mm. Seems like a very versatile lens so far.

I like the 18-140....great lens

Woodyg3

Contributor
Hey, it was a great weekend in CO to get out and take some shots, wasn't it? I used my 70-300 to get bird and turtle pics, but that 18-140 has me interested for general and travel shooting.