Need A Lab For Gallery Packaging

BackdoorArts

I met with a gallery yesterday that would like to try and sell my work (yay, I think). To start they're asking for 3 framed prints to hang, and 10 loose prints to put in rack displays. The prints they have now are 5x7's and 8x12's matted on a thin white mat with a similar back and stuffed in an acid free clear bag. It's a standard fare that I've seen in galleries and at arts and craft shows, but I've never had to put something like this together. I've got to assume that there are print shops that will do this work for you at an obvious cost. I've tried to hunt it down on Nations and MPIX, but either I'm not looking in the right place or they don't offer it.

So, do any of you use a national lab that does this kind of work at a reasonable price? I could always do this myself, the only thing I don't know where to get are the bags (I'm assuming a craft place like Michael's?). At the same time, if I can get someone to do it and drop ship them to the gallery (it's 90 minutes away with no traffic, so I'd be shipping even if I did it) I'd be happier.

Thanks in advance.

Fred Kingston

Have you "spoken" with someone at Nations? I know they do the mounting on both single, and double layer stock... they ship in a brown paper, acid free bag that is taped closed... but may have access to a clear bag... it may NOT be on their web site, but call them and speak with someone there...

Here's a source for clear, archival bags...

https://www.clearbags.com/industry-artphoto

Last edited:

Pretzel

Congrats, man! May your sales go crazy! (and at crazy prices, too!)

I frequent Michael's with little projects here and there, like the coffee table in my bad furniture pic (my 365), and I browse through the framing area a lot. Can't say that I've ever seen the acid free bagging, but I've never actually looked for it either. I know they'll frame/matte just about anything, but their pricing seems a bit higher than the online jobs, and you'd be doing the shipping yourself.

BackdoorArts

Thanks. We'll see how it goes. The owners are old college friends who approached me after seeing a few of the photos I linked on Facebook. I guess that's more flattering than going to them and asking, right? LOL

BTW, I spoke with someone at Nations and they do not do the clear bags. I guess I'll keep poking around.

BackdoorArts

Found one, and as expected not cheap.

Custom Prints

They offer the mat and bag separately for one price and the assembled product as well. For 8x10 to 8x12 with an 11x14 mat it's $4.50 for the mat and bag and $6 more for the photo and assembly ($10.50), which is about $5 per print to have them do it for you. I'm leaning towards doing this the hard way to start (or having the Mrs. work assembly), buying the bags and mats separately and having the prints done elsewhere. But in case I change my mind, has anyone used Oak Creek Printworks before?

BackdoorArts

Not sure if B&H has the exact size you need, but they do list some. I wonder if @Rick M might know since he periodically displays and sells his photos during some shows.

acid free bags | B&H Photo Video

B&H is a touch more expensive than others, but I do get free shipping from them and it arrives the next day.

I've pinged Rick privately, but thought I'd ask everyone just to cover my bases.

At this point I'm thinking that I'll tackle the assembling on my first batch and see what sells, if anything. I can assemble 30 of these (10 prints, 3 copies each) fairly easily and ground ship them myself. At $5 ea. on sales that may or may not happen, $150 is better off in my pocket than in theirs.

Rick M

Sent you a PM Jake. Prices vary, but Matboardplus.com has everything I need. Shipping is high, but the chip board I use is heavy. They also sell smaller quantities of bags. Better prices for lots of 100. After building up points with them, I get free shipping.