view NX2 problems

janfe

Hi ... Recently I have not been able to download images from my D5200 or P7700 using view NX2. In fact the NX2 software does not recognize either camera nor does Windows 7. However I have been able to download images manually using Ubuntu software so it would appear the cables are OK. I had no problems until recently when suddenly the software could no longer find the camera. Any ideas what is going on?

janfe

Hi Mike ... Yes, I use a USB cable to connect, maybe its time to abandon NX2 as I only use it for downloading images. I think I must have a phobia about dropping my SD card down a drain or something, as I rarely use card readers:)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Mike ... Yes, I use a USB cable to connect, maybe its time to abandon NX2 as I only use it for downloading images. I think I must have a phobia about dropping my SD card down a drain or something, as I rarely use card readers:)

Well it's never to late to change. Get yourself a card reader and your problem might be solved. Or re-install NX2. Sometimes an update of the operating system can affect some functions like camera recognition... Maybe?

nickt

A very basic question, have you tried rebooting the computer? I would approach this as a usb problem. Check in control panel-device manager. Your camera should appear under 'portable devices'. No exclamation points, etc. You could remove it from there and re-install it. This is for Canon, but it shows what I am trying to say:
If the camera is not detected by Windows 7

Another thing to try... if you know how to boot to safe mode... you could try that. Safe mode is a repair mode, but sometimes just going there and doing nothing and then rebooting normally fixes a lot of random things.

Also you could try plugging the camera into a different usb port. If it works, it may work again in the original port.

If the above fails, you could go back into device manager and delete all of the usb ports. They should return after a reboot. I hesitate to recommend this just in case they don't come back. There are lots of articles on the web stepping you through various ways to get your usb ports reset.

Sandpatch

I find ViewNX2's interface to be unusual. Your camera has to be turned on and USB connected of course, then select File => Launch Transfer

Then click on the [Source] tab and wait perhaps ten seconds, and your camera should appear and all of the files within it. Hopefully this will work for you. I run Windows 7 without any trouble with ViewNX2.

jasi

I am having similar issues- PC- Win 7, two Nikon cameras- D5300 and S560. Computer does see both cameras, opens up NX2 transfer file interface but does not see pictures on either camera. When I did a restore to eariler point, with the original NX program that came with S560, both cameras were seen. Upon installing NX2, it did remove the earlier program, NX. I'm with everyone else, anyone have a solution? Thanks, Bruce

Blacktop

Is your computer located next to a drain? If so ,you may want to move the drain.:D

Last edited:

aroy

You do not need the View NX to transfer the images. You only need the correct drivers which can access the camera directory structure when connected (either through USB or WiFi). Here is what I do
. Connect the camera to computer using USB cable.
. Open the File explorer and the camera is shown as an external device.
. Go down the directory structure of the camera device and you will see your image files.
. Copy the image files as you would from one drive to another.

In case you cannot see the camera in Win 7, then the driver may be corrupted. Download the latest version of View NX and reinstall it. That should usually solve all your problems.

Last edited:

janfe

Thanks for all your feedback. Actually I had already tried everything that had been suggested including re-installing NX2 but all to no avail. I have decided to abandoned NX2 now and use the SD card plugged into a card reader. As I never used the software for anything but downloading images from my camera it makes more sense to uninstall it and free up some space on my computer. Thanks again everyone!

jasi

Update on my situation- The issue is with my laptop/OS configuration. I took the latest software update off of internet and installed it on my laptop and another laptop. It works fine on the other laptop but not the one I previously mentioned.

Apparently this is some kind of 'conflict' in my laptop causing the issue(s). Just don't know where to look. Recap: laptop see's both of my Nikon Cameras, drivers are there, I can 'drill down' to the DICM file on the card and see the pictures but the 'transfer files' portion of the program will not see the pictures on the SD card to be allowed to transfer from camera to computer.

Any ideas/suggestions short of factory re install, not a viable option at this time.

Thanks for any help :)

Bruce

aroy

Update on my situation- The issue is with my laptop/OS configuration. I took the latest software update off of internet and installed it on my laptop and another laptop. It works fine on the other laptop but not the one I previously mentioned.

Apparently this is some kind of 'conflict' in my laptop causing the issue(s). Just don't know where to look. Recap: laptop see's both of my Nikon Cameras, drivers are there, I can 'drill down' to the DICM file on the card and see the pictures but the 'transfer files' portion of the program will not see the pictures on the SD card to be allowed to transfer from camera to computer.

Any ideas/suggestions short of factory re install, not a viable option at this time.

Thanks for any help :)

Bruce
When ever I have problems with software (which is at least one in six months), I reinstall the OS. The reasons for software conflict are many, but constant installing and uninstalling trial software and all sorts of cookies, seem to be the culprits. As I do it regularly, my OS reinstall takes less than 4 hours. This includes about an hour for OS and the rest to install the core software I use - Office, CAD and Development systems.

As your Laptop sees the data in the card, it is best to use the OS to copy the images to your local disk. I see no reason to use a "Program" to just copy files.

jasi

All,
The problem(s) I had are resolved. Simply changed the compatibility to XP SP3 and the NX Transfer see's the camera and will allow transfer from Camera to Computer.

Bruce