1st time here .... a couple of quick questions!!

itsjustmeee

Hello all,

This is my 1st post here. I'm fairly new to this whole thing. Up to this point it's my mostly point and shoot cameras and my iPhone. I am the proud owner of a new D5300 and had a couple of questions. First, can anyone suggest a decent lens filter? I was looking at the Hoya, but is there a huge difference in their pro models compared to the cheaper ones? Are there any other brands I should be looking at? I'm mostly concerned about protecting my lens at this point but I would also like to get a polarizing filter as well so suggestions there would also be greatly appreciated. Secondly, if I were to get a 3rd party zoom lens (like the Tamron 18-270) what would be a good choice? Being fairly new at this, I would like to keep the cost down but I would also like a lens that has full functionality with my D5300 but not as costly as a Nikon.

Thanks in advance.

crycocyon

Hoya makes very good filters. A UV or 1A is fine. I use the Hoya HMC Super. The better filters will have multi-coating to reduce reflections/glare. Also, with a D5300's resolution, you would be compromising its image quality by going with such a long zoom Tamron. There are certainly affordable Nikon zooms including second hand. And why such a large zoom range? Why not a mid-to-standard and then a standard to long zoom? Such a long zoom range compromises image quality even further, so much so that you might as well have a 1st gen D200 instead of the latest D5300. A Nikon 18-105mm DX lens is going to be better quality than a Tamron zoom and here's an example of a used deal for $170:

Nikon NIKKOR AF-S 18-105 F/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX Lens (USED - GOOD) | Used Photo Equipment | Nikon at Unique Photo

You could then get an 18-55mm ED II for about $120. And that is one of Nikon's best zoom lenses (it has both an ED element and an aspherical element). Together they would be around 2/3 the cost of the Tamron 18-270 new.

As for a polarizing filter, do you want circular or linear? Also do you want it to cut down reflections or to be able to shoot wide open in bright light?

itsjustmeee

Thanks for the advice crycocyon. Is there a huge difference between this...

http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Alpha-Violet-Coated-Filter/dp/B00AA48GSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398553077&sr=8-1&keywords=hoya+58mm

and this??

Amazon.com: Hoya 58mm HD Hardened Glass 8-layer Multi-Coated Digital UV (Ultra Violet) Filter: Camera & Photo

Will the cheaper one produce noticeably worse photos? Is it worth the extra price for just protecting my lens?

Also, I was looking for a circular polarizing filter. From what I can tell, Hoya would probably be a good choice unless I should be looking at something else.

As far as a zoom lens goes, my Nikon came with a 18-55 Nikkor DX VR and a 55-300 DX VR Zoom (a Costco bundle). A friend of mine who has a Cannon uses an 18-270 Tamron and gets great pics and doesn't have to switch back and forth. I was debating if it was worth the cost to have a lens that covers all of the bases. Also, I was curious as the whether the Nikon is better quality overall ... which I'm assuming it is.

pedroj

Did you by any chance check out the FAQ or the search sections...I'm sure most of your questions have been answered it them

aroy

The more expensive Hoya is the HD series
. Toughened glass
. Smear proof surface
. Slightly more transmission

The lower cost HMC is as good optically.

Why not look at Hoya HMC package containing UV, ND and CPL. It is half the price of individual pieces.

If you want IQ, avoid zooms with wide range.

Horoscope Fish

As for some good walkabout lenses I'd suggest either the Nikon 18-140mm or the 18-105mm. The latter will be less expensive but having both at the moment, I much prefer the 18-140mm. Still, the 18-105mm is hugely popular, an excellent lens and be awesome on your D5300. I just bought my girlfriend a 5300 and the removal of the OLPF really seems to make a significant improvement in image quality. You've invested in an excellent camera body with the 5300, don't hamstring it with less than ideal glass; believe you me, you'll be glad you spent the extra few bucks for top notch glass.

As for filters, skip the UV filter and get the Hoya HD Circular Polarizng filter (aka a "CPL"). Super tough glass, it cleans up super easy (and if you've not tried to get a multi-coated filter you don't know how frustrating that can be) and it will actually *do* something for your photography.