Best photo software and hard case?

colt1911

Just wondering what software to use for photo touch-ups, the easier the better. I know the camera (D5200) has built-in software for touch-ups and enhancements but I think it would be better (for me) to use the desktop. Also I take the camera with me on motorcycle trips and would like to know if there is opinions for a hard case with some sort of movable placement foam lining that I could carry in my saddlebags or strap on to the luggage rack. Thanks Rich

Horoscope Fish

Just wondering what software to use for photo touch-ups, the easier the better. I know the camera (D5200) has built-in software for touch-ups and enhancements but I think it would be better (for me) to use the desktop. Also I take the camera with me on motorcycle trips and would like to know if there is opinions for a hard case with some sort of movable placement foam lining that I could carry in my saddlebags or strap on to the luggage rack. Thanks Rich
Well when it comes to software the two, "500 Lbs. Gorillas" are Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. One good free option would be Nikon's View NX2 or a little freeware application I love called IRFanview; it's free and probably the easiest to learn but lacks the overall power and sophistication of the Adobe apps.

Can't really offer much advice on hard cases... Other than surely Pelican offers something.

I'm a big fan of the 1911 myself, btw...

Krs_2007

I would suggest Lightroom, but that's just my opinion. Hard cases outside of pelican, take a look at Plano. You might get by with a 4 pistol case and then customize to fit you camera, just not sure so measure twice. There are camera specific hard cases, take a look at BH Photo or check out Best Buy as mine had a few the past time I checked.

pedroj

I bought a hard case from our local hardware shop called craftright..It has the rubber inserts that can be tore out to fit anything..

It was designed for tools but does a great job with camera gear and is waterproof..$60 compared to about $250+ for a camera specific type..

Last edited:

FastGlass

I use both Lightroom 4 and Elements 10. Each has their pros and cons. I like Lightroom for organizing and simple adjustments and it's what I use 99% of the time. Only time I use Elements is to go deep into removing an unwanted object, adding someone into another image etc...

DraganDL

If you will shoot mainly in jpg (not RAW), then, in terms of simplicity+versatility, nothing can beat these two: 1) XnView; 2) Farstone viewer. They are, basically, "picture viewers" but with the lots of tools for editing, that work in a "what you see is what you get" fashion. Irfan viewer (made by compatriot of mine, born in ex-Yugoslavia, a guy named Irfan;)) is also a good utility, but the aforementioned two are slightly more stable. And all the three of them are free of charge (for home users, aka for personal use).
If it is only "photo touch-ups" for jpg photos that you are looking for, I'd say anything from the Adobe family would be an unnecessary waste of money and HDD space (shooting the fly with the anti-aircraft rocket).
http://goo.gl/tGOm
http://goo.gl/8nJr6A

A nice case for keeping your camera in the saddlebags:
http://goo.gl/UmQGGh

Last edited:

colt1911

Thanks DraganDL and FastGlass but lately I've been shooting in RAW but that could change as I discover more about the camera. The soft case is a cool idea and I'll probably consider it but I was thinking more of a hard waterproof case with movable foam padding

colt1911

Thanks Horoscope Fish I will check out IRFanview. Sounds about what I'm looking for. Too bad you live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia with your admiration for the 1911. If you ever get to Pa. I'll show you my "other" hobby.

colt1911

Thanks to all that responded!! A great bunch, to be sure. Lots of help to those of us photography challenged. Thank you everyone!!

MeSess

I alternate between Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5. Sure they are the juggernauts of editing software but basic photo touchups are actually really easy. The benefit of these are that they have a ton of potential that you can learn as you go. They are expensive but luckily UC Berkeley gave me creative suite 6 for free and lightroom was acquired through other means haha

DraganDL

Seems like we did not understand each other well - IrfanView is pretty much the same stuff like Farstone and XnView, these later two being slightly better, judging upon my experience (I've been using them, more or less regularly, for a decade now). If you're shooting RAW, it's a completely different thing, and you should consider obtaining any of these (their latest versions, of course): Best Raw Photo Editing Software | What Digital Camera