Hi everyone

Peter

Hi all,
thanks to everyone who has put together this site. I for one appreciate that you're all prepared to share your hard won experience and wisdom with those of us new to the sport. I will be getting my new D3100 tomorrow for my 40th birthday - a new hobby to get into for the second half of my life!!! It's my first ever DSLR, purchased after seeing some inspirational shots of my kids taken by a friend of mine which were just infinitely better than our crappy P&S efforts. I decided to forgo the standard lenses and go with the Nikkor 18-200mm VRII instead which has received pretty much universal praise. and I've also got a Canon500d macro filter as I'm very keen to have a go at macro photography also - so I'm raring to go.
Cheers to all,
Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Hi Peter, and welcome to Nikonites. If this is your first camera, you're going to love this place! :) Lots of knowledgeable people to help you along with any questions you might have. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots. Happy shooting. :)

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Peter, and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Be sure to put your camera and lens information in your profile when you get them. It helps us to know who we are talking to and what equipment you are using. Now for some information on what you want to do with that Canon 500D which is not a filter but actually a lens. It works like a magnifying glass on front of your lens. If I'm not mistaken it does have two elements. The other thing you have to know is that the 500D lens is a 77mm screw on to the front of the camera lens. The problem here is that the 18-200mm you are getting has a 72mm thread. What you will need is a adapter ring from 72mm up to 77mm for the 500D to fit. These are quite common and easy to find on the internet. Google "72mm to 77mm adapter ring" and you will get a number of sources that can supply one. They are not expensive, a few bucks should do it. Something you need to watch for is vignetting at the wider angle settings. The 500D is fairly thick with two elements so you may run into it. Enjoy your new camera and lens and post some shots.

Last edited: