Lens Barrel Button

sorabh

Hi Guys

I am new to photography and bought my first DSLR (3200 this weekend).

Was playing around with it all day saturday and asked my cousin to take a few pictures of me. Completely forgot to mention to him that you have to press the lens barrel button to rotate (zoom) the lens. - I.e he was zooming in and out without pressing the lens barrel button.

Would this have damaged my lens kit (18mm-55mm) - He would only have done it a few times.

thanks.

(sorry if this is a very stupid q!)

Horoscope Fish

Hi Guys

I am new to photography and bought my first DSLR (3200 this weekend).

Was playing around with it all day saturday and asked my cousin to take a few pictures of me. Completely forgot to mention to him that you have to press the lens barrel button to rotate (zoom) the lens. - I.e he was zooming in and out without pressing the lens barrel button.

Would this have damaged my lens kit (18mm-55mm) - He would only have done it a few times.

thanks.

(sorry if this is a very stupid q!)
I assume you have the new 18-55mm VRII version of this lens with the button that locks the lens in its retracted state? I wasn't under the impression you had to hold that button to zoom the lens but I could be mistaken, I've not used one personally. Does the manual indicate you need to keep the button depressed while zooming? I ask because that strikes me as a little odd. Not too mention cumbersome.

Offhand I'd say your lens is fine though I am curious about needing to press the button.

sorabh

OK ... now im even more confused !!!

There is a button on the lens itself which I press to rotate the lens. - Thats what a video guide on youtube said to do anyway :S

But dear Horoscope Fish - you could be right - as its just as easy to rotate the lens without depressing the button. yes I have the 18-55 VR 2 lens
thank you guys

Horoscope Fish

??? What button ???
The one between the "18mm" and "24mm" indicators...

Nikon-AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-55mm-f3.5-5.6G-VR-II.jpg

Horoscope Fish

There is a button on the lens itself which I press to rotate the lens. - Thats what a video guide on youtube said to do anyway :S

But dear Horoscope Fish - you could be right - as its just as easy to rotate the lens without depressing the button.
Again, I was under the impression the button simply locks the lens in the retracted position, for storage and such. I think once the lens is "unlocked" you're free to zoom in and out without depressing the button. But don't take my word for it; consult your manual to be sure.

sorabh

Thanks Guys - you are very helpful.

I watched a tutorial on the d3200 on youtube by Jared Polin - he mentioned it - I was just concerned that I could have damaged my lens but by the sounds of things - prob not - which is a big relief !

SkvLTD

Pretty sure only thing you could damage by forcing it from lock > 18mm position is the lock itself. Otherwise I like the new design of this dinky thing, especially the fact that the front no longer rotates when you focus.

CalumHeath

I've been using a D3200 since August 2012 and I have never held any button whilst zooming. I have four Nikon cameras and no camera or lens I own requires such an action - if it did I'd probably start using Canon!