Help re: 2x Tele-Converter

RussellHons

I bought a Tamron sp af 2x tele-converter to use on my D5200 with my Tamron 70-200 2.8. I received it today, and took it out in the bright sunlight to take some test shots. I found that the shutter would not fire if VR or Autofocus was turned on. Also, the shutter would ONLY work if the camera was set completely to manual. It would not work in program, apeture, or shutter mode. Also the the exposure meter on the camera was way off too. If I set it where the camera suggested, everything was WAY over exposed.

I was aware that the autofocus would be slow, and probably not work in lower light situations, but I never saw anything saying that it only worked in manual, and disabled the AF and VR. Remember, this is on fast glass, outside on a sunny day.

My question is this, Is this normal?

After about 10 minutes of use, the release switch on the side of the 2x fell off :( Luckily I was able to get the release pressed down enough to get it off my lens, and I am sending it back, but I don't know whether to ask for a replacement, or just get my money back. Your feedback would be appreciated.
Russ

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Using a tele-converter is like installing seat covers on leather seats. It changes the resolution and robs you of precious light. I know that the Nikor tele-converters are good, but only up to a certain point. Other brands, well, I personally think the IQ is not close to the lens without it.

FastGlass

Using a tele-converter is like installing seat covers on leather seats. It changes the resolution and robs you of precious light. I know that the Nikor tele-converters are good, but only up to a certain point. Other brands, well, I personally think the IQ is not close to the lens without it.
How exactly does using a teleconverter change the resolution?

pedroj

Hi Russ....If you google what you want to know you should get the answers...

I Have 2 AF T/Cs [a 1.4 & a x 2] that I use with my 300mm F4 and the 80-200mm F2.8..

I don't like the X2 because of the chromatic aberration.....The 1.4 works pretty good but the images loose some IQ...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How exactly does using a teleconverter change the resolution?

I should have written that in some cases with third party tele-converters the lens quality they use to produce their converter is not par with the original quality of the lens alone. Hence some sharpness is lost. The converters are changing the lens focal length original measurements so there is some extra glass behind the lens that can affect the IQ. This is what I have experienced with the Tamron 1.4 tele-converter when I use it with the Nikon 300mm F4 AF-D lens.

pedroj

Are you sure the D5200 is compatible with other brands...I read some where that they are adding an update to stop the use of other brands with their products