Nikkor Close-Up Attachment No. 2

Sandpatch

I was looking in some boxes at my Mom's house and found a Nikkor relic of my Dad's in an unlikely place. It probably dates from the mid-1970s. It's a Nikkor Close-Up Attachment No. 2 (3.0 Diopter). Happily, it screws onto my 18-55mm kit lens and works just fine without any special attention. These quickie snaps show the effect. The first shot shows the minimum distance with the 18-55mm, the second shot shows the minimum distance with the Attachment and the third shot shows the package. A pretty neat find on a rainy afternoon.

Caboose Closeup without Diopter Attachment.jpgCaboose Closeup with Diopter Attachment.jpgDiopter Attachment.jpg

Sandpatch

Nice! Love the price on the package!

Thank you. Yep, it was bought at Shutan Camera, which had a fine shop on Wacker Drive in downtown Chicago, IL. I miss those days, when camera shops were common. There were many in the Chicago area and I fondly recall frequent visits with a friend to buy chemicals, paper and film. We both had basement darkrooms and had such fun. If I close my eyes, I can still smell the chemicals and hear the timer (bought at a garage sale) running for the enlarger.

Last edited:

Rick M

Thank you. Yep, it was bought at Shutan Camera, which had a fine shop on Wacker Drive in downtown Chicago, IL. I miss those days, when camera shops were common. There were many in the Chicago area and I fondly recall frequent visits with a friend to buy chemicals, paper and film. We both had basement darkrooms and had such fun. If I close my eyes, I can still smell the chemicals and hear the timer (bought at a garage sale) running for the enlarger.

Darkroom memories are great. I remember as a kid my dad had a darkroom wherever we lived. The equivalent of the modern day "man cave". I was always fascinated with the lights, timers and chemicals. It was always so exciting seeing my very own images slowly come to life in the trays! Dad would always praise me no matter how terrible they were :)

Sandpatch

:) I remember the first time in the darkness when I nervously pried open a 35mm film canister and worked to thread the film into the spool to place in the developing tank. Yes, it was so cool to see images appear on film and paper. My Dad built our darkroom too, shared between my older brother and I. My brother even wired up an old FM Stereo radio in it, as extracted from a big console unit laying curbside in someone's trash. The radio tubes glowed, so we had to leave the radio off at select times when it might ruin film or paper!

It makes me smile when I see Dads and children sharing this hobby. My teenager loves photography too and I hope it sticks as a lifetime hobby as it has with me.