AF-S 85/1.4G the creammachine

kaizen

Hi,
yesterday I went to my local Nikon dealer. I was looking for a 85/1.4D lens. I tested one but I wasn't really excited. It was a bit soft at 1.4.

He gave me then the new 1.4G. Well, it didn't work out. The focus was not where it should be. He gave me yet another one and this was right on spot.

Back home I did a bit testshooting. I took some f1.4 pictures of my daughter. Its almost impossible to get the focus right. She can't hold still. Using continious AF was a bit better.

Finally I used this little guy, manufactured by her in school. It was a much better model :)

Isn't it a nice creamy bokeh?

Joseph Bautsch

Taking pictures of children is both a delight and aggravating at the same time. The focusing on a 1.4mm G is a lot faster than on the 1.4mm D. I would also recommend using Dynamic Area auto focus as well as AF-C. I also use high speed shutter release. As you are finding out anticipating what a child is going to do next is almost impossible and keeping them in focus is difficult, so you will be hitting the delete button quite often in post processing. Lets see some shots of the daughter.

johnwartjr

Even using the 85 1.4D, you needed to have your focus point set right where you wanted the focus to be!

The 85 1.4G was my 'next' lens, however Nikon ran a deal that ends tomorrow where you could get $400 off the 14-24 2.8 and a number of bodies. The 14-24 was on my list after the 85 1.4G - but my Dad wanted a D7000, and I wanted a 14-24, so the time was right to buy the 14-24.

Enjoy the lens..