Nikon D 5300 RAW files for PSE 11!

elmafudd2

Hi All
Newbie Andy here! I have just bought my D5300 this week and have been enjoying using it! The problem I have is that I use Photoshop Elements 11 for my D60 RAW work and have found that there we are still waiting for the camera raw update to properly include D5300 in the long list of cameras. Does anyone know when the update might be done? Also I am going to give the conversion from NEF to DNG a go tonight - any tips or warning on this?

Cheers
Andy

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Welcome to Nikonites Elmafudd2.....first question...I have no idea.....2nd question....watch the adobe Lightroom 5 videos as one of them covers the DNG conversion. I believe one of the videos with Terry White.

elmafudd2

Hi there,
Just looking online, the camera raw update is in the 7 something for PSE 11 and you need camera raw 8.5 minimum for D5300 :s!

BackdoorArts

Google "Adobe DNG Converter" and get the latest free download. It will take your NEF file and convert it to a DNG, Adobe's version of RAW (I do this as a part of my imports into Lightroom, so it's not like it's uncommon). PSE 11 does not work with ACR 8, so you'll either have to upgrade Elements or use this step. Unfortunately, if you require 8.5 then you'll need to wait for them to release the 8.5 version of the tool since it's only at 8.4.

Until then, you should be able to use Nikon's ViewNX to do minimal editing. It's the cost of being the first on your block.