Post your "Blood Moon" eclipse shots

Dave_W

The Dude
Instead of having our eclipse shots spread over several threads, I figured it would be best to put them all in one place.

Here's one of my full eclipse shots from last night. Still working up the partial eclipse shots but moving a bit slower than usual this morning (or is it still last night?)

_DWE1480VShr-2.jpg

skene

Because it's not a solar eclipse where the moon aligns with the sun allowing for a dark shadow with light around edges. This is a lunar eclipse where the moon aligns on the earth and the sun is peaking around the earth. So in actuality if you were on the moon you would see an eclipse with the earth blocking the sun. (moon) (earth) (sun)

Moab Man

Anybody remember that Blood Moon party last night? It must have been a rush because I have been feeling it all day. However, now that I am awake again, I went back and edited my photo one more time and even titled it with the right day after pulling an Aussie trick of trying to be ahead of everyone and labelled it October Blood Moon. But like I said, I've recovered from last nights Blood Moon Photography Party and here is my image. It took a lot of pixel peeping, except for the bright star (betting it's probably a planet) in the lower right corner, and I brought them up so we can see them as I did last night and the camera faintly did.

PS. Whoever said photographers don't know how to party through the middle of the night clearly wasn't there. From somebody mentioning their chair was still iced over, DaveW fighting the clouds in no mans land of Montana, and the Aussies down under chomping at the bit to have a shot - It was a party! :)

BloodMoonFinished.jpg

Moab Man

This is too funny. I just looked through the pictures of this thread and realized that my crop and stars and DaveW's are nearly the same. LOL! Honest, I did not plagiarize DaveW. However, his was posted first so DaveW just let me know where I need to be sending a royalties check to and is it made out to the wife or you?

:)

Bob Blaylock

I took this picture at 22:38, and regretfully posted it in several places along with the comment that needing to get up early the following morning, I could not stay up to watch the eclipse.

Moon_20140414_223841.jpg

I then ended up staying up to watch the eclipse until some time within totality; and skipping school the following day.

CSC_9211.JPG CSC_9213.JPG CSC_9215.JPG CSC_9217.JPG

These were all taken using my ancient non-AI Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ3.8 “Tele-Zoom” lens. (Nikon claims that non-AI lenses cannot be used with the D3200, but my D3200, this lens, my two equally-ancient non-AI Nikkor lenses, and I, all disagree.)

For all these pictures, I had the lens zoomed in to 205mm.

The first one, the camera was on a tripod, ISO was at 100, the shutter speed was 1/20 of a second, and the aperture was probably closed all the way down to ƒ22.

The next two were hand held, with the shutter at 1/60 of a second, the aperture at about ƒ11 or ƒ8, and ISO still at 100.

As the moon got close to totality, and I found it getting too dim for those settings, I ran back in and got my tripod. Generally trying to stay with ISO 100 to keep sensor noise to a minimum, and trying not to open my aperture up too wide for the sake of sharpness (this old Vivitar lens gets some odd aberrations and unsharpnesses when opened all the way up to ƒ3.8) I mostly experimented with different shutter speeds and small variations in aperture and ISO. That last picture, in totality, was taken at 5 seconds, with the ISO at 100, and the aperture probably still somewhere around ƒ11 to ƒ5.6.

If I could have anything different for these shots, I'd have liked to have had a longer lens. At 205mm, the moon takes up a very small part of the frame, hence these 720-pixel square pictures cropped out of the original 6016×4000 pixel frames.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
This is too funny. I just looked through the pictures of this thread and realized that my crop and stars and DaveW's are nearly the same. LOL! Honest, I did not plagiarize DaveW. However, his was posted first so DaveW just let me know where I need to be sending a royalties check to and is it made out to the wife or you?

:)

No checks please, just cash....lots of cash!! :)