Contract

SacrificeTheory

So I'll be doing my first 3 weddings this year. I keep hearing that a contract is needed for your benefit. Does anyone have experience with this? What should be said in the contract and is there a good place to get one? I'm assuming a lawyer, but that might be costly?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've seen some generic contracts before which outlines what type of services is expected from you, the duration, number of pictures are expected, down payment, etc.

Congrats and good luck with your photography business.

kluisi

I don't know anything about contracts as I'm not a lawyer (or even a professional photographer that has used one before), but I did watch a video by Joe Buissink on the B&H Photo Wedding Event (there's another thread around that I started with a link to all of the videos - about 12 hours worth) and here is something that Joe posted that he suggested should be in every wedding contract for the photographer's protection (he credited someone else for the actual wording, but I do not remember who and I do not have access to the audio at work to figure it out):

4. Artistic Style. On its own behalf, and on behalf of the subject: Client acknowledges that it is familiar with the Photographer's portfolio and is requesting Services with knowledge of the Photographer's style; that Photographer's work is constantly evolving; that Photographer's services are of unique and artistic nature; that the photos may be different from photographs taken by the Photographer in the past; and that in creating the photos, the Photographer shall use his personal artistic judgement to create images consistent with his personal vision of the Event, which vision may be different from the Client's and/or the Subject's vision of the Event. According, Client acknowledges that the Photos shall not be subject to rejection on the basis of taste or esthetic criteria.

kevy73

Definitely get a contract. Definitely.

Have it detail what you can do with any images you take. Have it detail what the customer can do with any images you take.

People book weddings a long time in advance. What if you get sick. What if your camera fails. What are you liable for in such cases.

It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, but just a signed document showing the customer is aware and agrees to your terms.

rocketman122

So I'll be doing my first 3 weddings this year. I keep hearing that a contract is needed for your benefit. Does anyone have experience with this? What should be said in the contract and is there a good place to get one? I'm assuming a lawyer, but that might be costly?

By the way I see it, I highly suggest you dont deal with contracts or private weddings. friends or family, fine. a stranger who booked you? I would not put that burden on my shoulders.
1-your lens lineup has holes. 2nd camera, a few flashes?
2-if youre asking about contract then you havent worked enough (well obviously since you said these are your first three) and I would suggest you magnetize yourself to a working pro and let him deal with the contracts till you know the ins and outs of the wedding biz. your rep is on the line.

Just a suggestion, but this has a waving "potential disaster waiting to happen" sign. dont mean to get you down. but if you feel ready go for it. I see it otherwise. people take shooting weddings way to lightly.
I was tight with pro photogs for a long time before I decided to go solo. saved me a HUGE mistakes and TONS of time and money id waste.

rocketman122

When I started writing up my own contract, it was after shooting weddings and understanding the things that are critical. they were things ive experienced and wanted to add those things in. ive honed mine to fit me perfectly. but basically, its from things ive been through and there were misunderstanding throughout me writing it up.