Hello Everyone!

maxm2764

Hey everybody!

My name is Max from Houston, TX. I'm glad to finally be a part of the nikonite forum family and am looking forward to getting more involved with the community.

I'm currently still fairly new to photography as a hobby and am looking at buying either the D5100 or the D5200. My main question is, is the upgrade to the D5200 significant enough to justify the extra cost? I know that it is a newer model so it may last me longer in terms of being more up-to-date, but if I bought the 5100 new would it be much different?

Thanks everyone - I look forward to interacting with you guys soon!

maxm2764

Hmm, didn't think about that, sonic. Is there any reason that you'd recommend that? Would the D7100 be too much camera for me since I'm still fairly new to the game?

Thanks!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Hmm, didn't think about that, sonic. Is there any reason that you'd recommend that? Would the D7100 be too much camera for me since I'm still fairly new to the game?

Thanks!

My thoughts are this.....I first bought a D5100 and bought David Busch's Guide to the Nikon D5100 and I was off and running....then I realized I could have skipped the D5100 and jumped into a better D7100 for just a little more money and it would have advanced my knowledge significantly...the 600, 610 and 800 are out of my price range. In any case I sold the D5100 and the kit lens and wish now I would have skipped that step and the inevitable upgrade within a year or two. I only had my D5100 a year and a half....took over 5000 pictures with it between my wife and I.

Not telling you what to do but I'd get a better body to begin with and the money you save on upgrading can be used for better glass in the future. The D7100 has a motor inside which the 5100 doesn't. That means you can shoot older FX lenses that have no built in motor. That's just one of many features of the D7100.....like higher MP count, and dual memory card slots, and weather resistant. You're also talking getting a camera that has more metal in the body, which makes it more stout, than the D5100, which is all plastic.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to your future photos!

Thanks!

TBH, there may be a little bit more of a learning curve with the D7100, but really, most of photography is learning 3 basic settings: ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture. If you can jump in with a camera that offers a few more features than the rest, ya might as well, as there's more to tinker with down the road. Not to mention the availability of more of the old AF lenses with the D7100 instead of just the AF-S ya need for the D5x00 series. Then there's weather sealing, and...

Aw heck, why even keep typing. Check out this link: Comparison

Really, about the only advantages to the 5200 are in cam 3D and a fold out LCD for live view at odd angles. If those are really important, that's where ya go. ;)