7 Essential Apps You Need As A Photographer

Horoscope Fish

Personally I'm not finding any of those apps particularly essential... A good DOF calculator can be handy but in the heat of the moment, typically, I'll just shoot at three different apertures if I'm *THAT* concerned about getting it JUST-SO in camera.

I am finding DSLR Dashboard (link goes to Android version) to be pretty freakin' cool, if somewhat less than "essential". It turns your smartphone (if it's supported) into a full blown remote control for your camera. The app itself is free but the manual, a downloadable e-book, will run you $5. You'll most likely also need a $5 dongle to connect your phone to your camera via the accessory port.

I did it just for fun and hells bells if it doesn't work like a champ.

480sparky

None of those apps are of any use to me, regardless of how 'essential' the author claims them to be.

I find that many articles on the internet are written by people who like to write, not those with any interest, background or knowledge in the field on which they're writing about. I could just as easily toss out articles about breast feeding, or lawn care, or weather forecasting.

BackdoorArts

If you use your phone as your camera then I agree that Snapseed is essential, and perhaps if you work in news photography and use your phone to transmit SOOC shots sent to it via a WiFi card. A DoF Calculator is a nice to have, and I saved the $3.99 on mine. I also use an ND Exposure calculator as well, which to me is far more essential than any of those (though I can count clicks as I turn the shutter speed dial as well).

Want one that is essential, at least if you're planning your shooting? The Photographer's Ephemeris

SteveH

Personally I'm not finding any of those apps particularly essential... A good DOF calculator can be handy but in the heat of the moment, typically, I'll just shoot at three different apertures if I'm *THAT* concerned about getting it JUST-SO in camera.

I am finding DSLR Dashboard (link goes to Android version) to be pretty freakin' cool, if somewhat less than "essential". It turns your smartphone (if it's supported) into a full blown remote control for your camera. The app itself is free but the manual, a downloadable e-book, will run you $5. You'll most likely also need a $5 dongle to connect your phone to your camera via the accessory port.

I can +1 DSLR Dashboard, I use it with the WU-1a wireless remote and it works great as a wireless trigger.

Fortkentdad

Just loaded Dashboard on my ASUS Transformer (it has a USB port) and just connected the camera directly to the ASUS via the cable that came with the camera (basic USB) and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure there are even useful uses for this app. As for the manual - $5.00? Hmmmm, I think I'll just figure it out. Must be a youtube on it out there.

I have a Blackberry phone (corporate) doubt there is a BB app for this. (Have not looked). But my wife has a nice big Note 3 Android phone. Sounds like I now have an excuse to by a wireless adaptor for my D610.

I wonder is the wireless gizmo worth $60ish bucks? Bit of a bother to tether to the ASUS - wireless to the Note 3 would be more useful, but really is it a novelty that wears off or a useful tool?

Last edited:

Browncoat

That's a pretty crappy list IMHO. Here are some that I use:

The Photographer's Ephemeris - If you take photos outdoors, this one is a must have. Wonky name, great app. See how the light will fall anywhere on earth, sunrise/sunset times, optimal blue hour conditions, etc.

Camera FV-5 - No self respecting photographer can possibly be happy with Android's lousy native camera app. This one is the best I've found.

LightMeter - Tried a few of these and this one was good enough to persuade me to get the paid version.

Map-A-Pic - Location scouting. Lets you geotag location shooting spots, upload a photo, organize, and generate maps.

OneNote - This is now free, multi-platform, and syncs with OneDrive. I was a hardcore Evernote user for several years, but have switched. OneNote is awesome!

mystic7

Ah, maybe you can help me. I just found dslrDashboard myself today. The problem is, when I connect my WU-1a wifi adapter to my D3300, live view won't turn on and I get an error message saying that the scene is too dark to turn on live view. As soon as I unplug the adapter, live view comes on. Have you (or anyone else) ever heard of this problem? Even with live view being inaccessible I can connect to the camera with that app no problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nero

Works for me too. Now all I need is Wifi in my camera to use my phone as a Live View screen and I'm set.

Also, I gotta agree, this author sounds like he just put photography into the search bar of the iOS and Android app stores and picked the most popular he could find.