Moon Shot for your consideration

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-

We have a clear night and a full moon over Columbus Ohio tonight and I just had to go out and shoot it. I used a 70-300 racked out to 300 on my D200. I further cropped it in Lightroom 3 and did some minor adjustments. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to look and respond !! Moon for Nikonites.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Pretty good shot, Doug. Nice detail and it doesn't appear to be overexposed. I like the mysterious look . . . have you tried to up the exposure a tad in lightroom to see if the photo will pop a little more, or is that going to give you blown out areas? Or is the dark look what you were going for?

Nikonite1222

Hi Jack-- You're such a trooper !!!! Good for you, Not too bad. I can tell you that I think I shot mine at F8 and 1/1000 of a sec so I could get nice darks and lights. It's a pretty bright moon out tonight, so it's good to up the speed to control those highlights. Good shot,,,,now go warm up and thaw out your equipment. (LOL) !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikonite1222

Hi Helene-

Thanks for the comments. I was going for a darker exposure to keep the detail visible. The moon was so large and bright tonight that I had to shoot at 1/1000 to keep the brights from blowing out. I think the rest was at F8 and ISO of 200. I tried to up the exposure and as I did,,, the lights would get blown out and I started to lose detail.

Thanks again !!!!

Doug

fotojack

I forgot to mention.....I shot this using the bulb mode, not 1/320th of a sec as I posted. (my bad) I counted to 3 using a remote shutter actuator.
And the temperature is -23C (-9.4F) at the moment.

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I was going for a darker exposure to keep the detail visible

You did good, Doug! The moon is tough to photograph. I think we forget how bright it really is until we start photographing it.
So you have good detail and a keeper.

Joseph Bautsch

Another suggestion for shooting the moon. On very clear nights the f/stop range of the moon, from dark shadow areas to the very bright areas can exceed the capabilities of a DSLR, which is about six stops. Add to that a lot of glair and it makes it very difficult to get a good shot. Shooting the moon under these conditions means under exposing to get details and you wind up with a shot that is on the flat side without pop. A suggested method to eliminate the glair and help reduce the f/stop range is to use a one stop neutral density filter or a CPL filter. A CPL is any where from 1.3 to a 1.5 ND. (A CPL does not work as a CPL when shooting directly into a light source, but does give you a 1.3 to 1.5 ND when needed.) This technique should bring down the glair and the excessive f/stop range of a very bright moon. This is not the cure all for moon shots but should give you an exposure that is workable in post processing. If desired, you can also add a little color by setting the WB on shade. This will add warm color to the shot.