Howdy from The Lonestar State!

TXmason

Hi!

I am Jerry from Texas and I have been a long time Canon user.
Utilizing the Canon 40D, (17-40 L F4mm, 24-70 mm L F 2.8, 70-200 mm L F 2.8,
canon 580 EXii, 550 EX flashes).

I have been looking at switching to the
Olympus OM- D E 1 4/3rds camera.
My question is, Should I switch or
Which one of the Nikon cameras would be recommended
and why?

Does Nikon have a pro line of mirror less cameras?

I would be grateful for the assistance. As I am going to
Houston Camera Exchange Tuesday afternoon.

I look forward ward to your responses.

All the Best,

Jerry

DraganDL

-Any Nikon, being advertised as "full frame" camera will do. Smaller investment: D610. Big pile of $ notes: D4/D4s. D800 being probably the best solution in terms of what you get for your money, I think.
-Why? Because these cameras enable you to take a high quality photos, have a wide range (widest!) of lenses, which includes the old analog era lenses (mechanically and optically compatible with Nikon DSLRs, which is not the case with Oly and Canon and their lenses in that category, I'm afraid)... Also, these cameras are more robust than most of what is produced by Canon...

-Does Nikon have a pro line of mirror less cameras? No. It only has a line of, IMHO inferior small sensor cameras - a Nikon1 line-up, sadly...
-If you're loaded, go for this Oly - it is good more than enough for these purposes of yours, but is OVERpriced. With the kit lens (which should cover most of your needs, anyway) it is not THAT expensive, but, just try to buy some of Oly's high grade "primes" and/or zooms - you're gonna need some help from International Monetary Fund...
How much you're willing to spend, that's the question, now?

Last edited:

wornish

Welcome
The Nikon 1 V1, V2 and the new V3 are enthusiast level mirror less cameras. They are certainly better than the average P&S and will give the Oly a run for its money in most circumstances.
I wouldn't right them off as an option given your intended use, some people right them off without actually trying them out. The V3 starts shipping April 23rd.

TXmason

I appreciate the warm and friendly welcome! I look forward to learning more!

If I were to switch to Nikon what would be comparable to the Canon 40D or better? My aim is to improve my photos not only got myself, but for real estate. I have been doing photography for 10 years and would like to be able to not only sell the clients home but to take the photos of the clients home.

What I would want is a Nikon body with a grip, and a wide angle lens and a lens for covering events. maybe a flash. Or another lens. Pro lenses of course. And filters for both lenses. A camera that has wifi and the ability to use it with a MacBook Pro 15" retina display and an iPad Air.

After 10 years I finally see just how good Nikon is and what I have been missing.

I would be grateful for the assistance. As I will be at the
Houston Camera Exchange Tuesday afternoon.

I look forward ward to your response.

All the Best,

Jerry Johnston

Sent from my iPhone

DraganDL

Almost any Nikon DSLR being produced nowadays is comparable to this Canon's model, in just about every aspect - and, Canon D40 is a loser in that comparison. If you use 40D as a reference, than you don't even have to go for a full frame - D7000 or D7100 would be a giant step forward for you. For real estate photos you need a lens with well controlled distortions, so the gem among the DX all-arounders would be ideal here - Nikon 16-85mm VR, that is. Add a telephoto zoom like 70-300 (cheap) or a 70-200 f4 "N" (a "pro-grade" and expensive), a flash unit SB700 and you're ready for action...

TXmason

I did it ! I am now in the Nikon family. I hope I can be accepted. I purchased a Nikon D610 with a battery grip and a 16-35mm F4 lens. What lens should I buy now? And what flash should I get? I do portraits and real estate. I would like to build a good system. What about the 85mm 1.4, 135mm F 2.0 etc.

Which are good professional prime lenses to invest in?

Best
Jerry

Deezey

I would do 85 1.8G, 105 2.8 Macro for portraits. Then the Nikon 24-70 2.8 for events and general shooting. Your 16-35 F4 covers interior work.

For flash the SB700 would be the Minimum.