LiveView Problem! Please Help!

hoyitsmarcus

I accidentally dropped my D3200 about 2 months ago. I thought everything was okay except for the lens being a little bit scratched up (not the glass). But I don't know if it is because of the drop or the C 1.03 update, but when I go to LiveView mode and I try to change the shutter speed and ISO, it does not change and is kept at, i think, ISO 6400 and shutter speed 1/120 but I am not sure. Whenever I try to change the settings, it never changes and it is annoying because I am an aspiring videographer and I thought I could make better quality videos with a DSLR but I cannot if I can't even change the settings and not have weird looking noise in my videos. Please help because I do not know what is going on at the moment. I have also tried to use video without a lens (i know, not a good idea) and still has those problems so I dont think its the lens.

WayneF

I believe Live View settings are adjustable only if camera is in Manual mode.

See D3200 manual.

Page 89: Matrix metering is used regardless of the metering method selected. Shutter speed and ISO
sensitivity are adjusted automatically unless On is selected for Manual movie settings
(p 91) and the camera is in mode M.

Page 91: Manual movie settings: Choose On to allow manual
adjustments to shutter speed and ISO sensitivity when the
camera is in mode M. Shutter speed can be set to values as
fast as 1/4,000 s; the slowest speed available varies with the
frame rate: 1/30 s for frame rates of 24p, 25p, and 30p, 1/50 s for
50p, and 1/60 s for 60p. ISO sensitivity can be set to values
between ISO 200 and Hi 1 (p 51). If shutter speed and ISO sensitivity are not in
these ranges when live view starts, they will automatically be set to supported
values, and remain at these values when live view ends. Note that ISO sensitivity is
fixed at the value selected; the camera does not adjust ISO sensitivity
automatically when On is selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO
sensitivity control in the shooting menu (p 129).

DraganDL

-you dropped it, so it is probably malfunctioning due to some internal damage. Have you taken the camera to any repair shop?
-DSLRs are NOT supposed to be the kings in the kingdom of video - camcoders are made for that: Canon VIXIA HF G30 Full HD Camcorder 8454B001 B&H Photo Video
-"it does not change and is kept at, i think, ISO 6400 and shutter speed 1/120 but I am not sure" - how come you're not sure? What is the meanining of the EXIF then?

Last edited:

hoyitsmarcus

Ya i took it to Bestbuy where I bought it. I had the warranty for it but when it came back it still had the problem! When I say it looks like ISO 6400 is because i try to change the settings to ISO 100 (on Manual mode) but it does not change and I can clearly see all the noise with ISO 100. The shutter speed is not changing either when I go from 1/60 to 1/4000.