Ghost Sunset

MartinCornwall

Last night after 30 minutes of the sun setting below the horizon, another sun got projected through the clouds. It started off as a full sun and then continued to set like a normal sun. I only live 3 minutes walk from this view so tend to pop up often for the sunsets, but I have never seen anything like this before. It was very bizzare.
DSC_0460.jpg

Scott Murray

Last night after 30 minutes of the sun setting below the horizon, another sun got projected through the clouds. It started off as a full sun and then continued to set like a normal sun. I only live 3 minutes walk from this view so tend to pop up often for the sunsets, but I have never seen anything like this before. It was very bizzare.
View attachment 82925
That is very cool and I have never seen it before.

mathom33

I've seen this a few times while out at sea. I never understood why this happened until watching The Cosmos: Hiding In The Light episode where they talk about how what we interpret as the beginning of a sunrise is merely a "mirage" because of the speed of light and the way out atmosphere reflects the light. It's a neat concept if you have time to watch the episode or look up the information.

By the way, I love the picture. I like how the colors are very soft and not overtly bright/vibrant.

MartinCornwall

Thanks for the replies guys. @mathom33 thanks for the info will have to find that episode. You mentioned it being due to the speed of light which is pretty quick but as stated this was 30 mins after the normal sunset so before I find that programme was just wondering is this the same effect still.

mathom33

Thanks for the replies guys. @mathom33 thanks for the info will have to find that episode. You mentioned it being due to the speed of light which is pretty quick but as stated this was 30 mins after the normal sunset so before I find that programme was just wondering is this the same effect still.

I believe they said it was around 3 minutes. I don't remember and I deleted the episode from my DVR. It had something to do with the way that light rays bend around planets and that what we see is really an image that is been refracted due to the earths atmosphere. I may be completely wrong in what I just said. I was busy studying for an anatomy midterm and only half listening to the show.