D90 Firmware Upgrade

Browncoat

It's just a lens property database update. Not a big deal, especially if you're using Lightroom/Aperture and those are up to date.

johnwartjr

It's from February 17, 2011 - not 2010.

Someone has presently borrowed my D90, if I can get it back, I'll probably upgrade the firmware for the heck of it.

johnwartjr

Actually, I hate to be negative, but I have had a few experiences where it did hurt.

It's been years, but I've 'bricked' a couple computer motherboards, trying to flash the BIOS (firmware)

Thankfully, in those cases, a replacement flash chip for the BIOS from the manufacturer, or a programmed EPROM could replace the chip with the 'bad flash' on it, and get you going again with minimal downtime. A lot of higher end stuff now has *2* firmware chips on it, and if one fails to boot, it boots off the 2nd one and tries to 'recover' the first.

I don't know how our Nikons work. I flashed both my SB-900s, and it worked well. My D90 is out of warranty, I guess there *is* a slight chance I could screw something up, and have to send it in to have it fixed at my cost... but I've not had a firmware problem on anything for years. Hopefully, the problems of the days of old are gone!

iiSKipper

I always hate updating firmware as yes you can stuff it up.
It was worse years ago but the technology is a lot better now.
I did stuff up a video card once as it failed half way through the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkavian

This is an older thread but still relevant. My current D90 has the following under firmware:

A 1.0
B 1.00
L 1.000

Can I jump to 1.006 which is the latest that I can find on the nikon website?

Thanks
Michael

fotojack

Updating firmware is never a bad idea. If the manufacturers directions are followed to the letter, it is quite easy and safe to do. Personally, I wish there were more firmware updates for MY cameras!

warriormom

i'm scared. upgrade or not? in fact, on my d90, there is not even a firmware option selected. it just says '--' after firmware version. should i set it to 1.00 (options 'a' and 'b') or 1.002 (option 'l')?

fotojack

i'm scared. upgrade or not? in fact, on my d90, there is not even a firmware option selected. it just says '--' after firmware version. should i set it to 1.00 (options 'a' and 'b') or 1.002 (option 'l')?

uh NO! Go to the Nikon USA web site and download the latest firmware update and read the instructions on how to install. Or....take it to your local Nikon dealer and have them do it for you. It is imperative that the updates be done correctly, or damage may result to the camera's installed programming, rendering the camera useless.

Seriously.....get it done!

Sambr

Updating firmware is never a bad idea. If the manufacturers directions are followed to the letter, it is quite easy and safe to do. Personally, I wish there were more firmware updates for MY cameras!

Yup me too. However once a camera is discontinued, that's it for firmware updates or any kind of updates.