Do You Really Need HDR When You Have High Dynamic Range?

BackdoorArts

Do You Really Need HDR When Your Sensor Already Has High Dynamic Range?

Scott had posted a thread called "Why HDR?!" earlier this week with a really fine example of how HDR photography can really change what you see in a photograph. I am by no means an anti-HDR person, in fact I used to shoot an awful lot of it. But since getting my D600 and D800, I've found it almost unnecessary. The sensors in this current generation of Nikons are so good in terms of their dynamic range that, provided you have not blown out either end of your histogram on the initial exposure, you can quickly recover those areas of a shot that you once thought lost forever.

I'm going to post a fairly benign example showing a blown out sky, but the techniques and the ideas here can be used to balance the light in an otherwise unbalanced shot. I'm working in Photoshop, but the PS techniques translate directly to every version of Elements I've ever used.

I'm using screen prints so you get a feel for what was done. Please note, in the PS screenshots, which layers are visible and which are not (look which layers have the EYE), since I did multiple adjustments in a single file before putting this together.

Original Photo

OK, so here's the original photo, straight out of the camera. If you look at the histogram you can see that while neither side is blown out, there's a huge gulf between the lights and the darks. What we want to do (and what HDR does) is balance that out.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.24.30 AM.jpg

Method 1 - Using Photoshop/Elements, Layer Blend Modes & Layer Masks

So, I'm OK with the exposure of the building, but the sky is blown out, and the reason I took it was because the sky was pretty nice as well. There are a set of layer blend modes that work to darken a photo based on the layer above it. While these are often used when applying textures, you can also use it to blend a photo with itself.

First, hit Control/Command-J to duplicate the Background layer. Now, I know I only want to darken the sky, so before anything else I want to create a layer mask to isolate only that part. Using the Quick Selection Tool, I painted around the sky (which is fairly easy in this photo) until the entire sky was selected. I then clicked on the Add Layer Mask button (the one that looks like the Japanese flag in the bottom right corner), which adds a mask based on the selection. Easy-peasy!!

Next, I change the Blend Mode in the Layer Palate from Normal to Multiply. This blend mode darkens the effected area by, literally, multiplying the light values together. As you can see, I now have more details in the sky.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.26.01 AM.jpg

Notice how the right side of the Histogram has opened up a bit and started moving to the left. That's what I want. But I'm not done since the sky is still not as dark as I'd like. This is where it gets easy. I already have a layer that does what I want - I just want more. All I have to do it hit Control/Command-J with the new layer highlighted and it will replicate the layer, complete with the mask and blend mode intact. And I can keep doing this, watching just the sky darken until I get the effect I want. As you can see, it took 5 copies until I got the sky to where I wanted it.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.26.43 AM.jpg

And looking at the Histogram, you can see that I've bridged the light gap - in fact, I've actually got room to the right now where I can brighten the overall image. This is by no means complete, but it's now a well exposed, balanced image from what used to be something I may have been disappointed in. From here, I would merge the visible images, either by flattening or creating a new layer from the visible layers, and then edit as normal.

Method 2 - Using HDR Software on a Single Image (i.e. Tone Mapping)

This one is sort of easy, but not always obvious. If you've got a single image, you can send that into your HDR Program of choice and use the tone mapping tools. These software packages dig into the light information contained in each pixel. When you use multiple images to create an HDR image what you're really doing is just giving the program more light information for each pixel by combining all the information across the images. But the truth is, with the dynamic range of these sensors there is a lot of information there that is probably going unused, or at least underused. So, when you ask the HDR program to reach in to the single image it's likely going to find what you're looking for without you every having to worry about making sure you have 3-9 images that must be ghost-reduced, etc.

This is a very quick and dirty trip of my original image into HDR Efex Pro 2 with only their "Deep 2" preset applied. Obviously I have much more to do with this, but again you can see that I now have a well balanced image to start my real work from.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.28.25 AM.jpg

Method 3 - Nik Viveza 2

If you've got it, the Nik Collection is a great set of tools, and Viveza 2 is a great first pass light adjustment for me. For an image like this, however, it's not as easy to use - but you can do it. What I did with the image below is to apply a single control point in the upper-right corner in the sky and use that to add structure and remove brightness from the sky, adjusting contrast and saturation as desired. Once I got it close, I replicated the control point across the sky in 4 additional places until I had the same effect everywhere. I then went back to the main adjustment panel and did some global tweaks to help get me where I wanted to go. Not the way I'd really want to handle this overall, but if I wound up with an image that was almost there, I wouldn't hesitate using Viveza 2 to fix the more problematic spots.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.28.39 AM.jpg

Method 4 - But What If I Only Have Lightroom?!

Because I know not everyone has Photoshop or Elements, let alone the Nik Collection (or anything else), it is possible for you to do this in Lightroom - but it's not nearly as easy. What you need to do is to use the Brush Tool to paint your adjustments in the sky. This isn't as easy since there are no edge protection tools in LR like there are in PS and PSE, but if you take your time you're golden.

Step 1 is to activate the Brush Tool and click on the Show Selected Mask Overlay button at the bottom. Then paint in the part of the image you want to manipulate before changing any of the parameters on the tool. This will require you adjusting the tool size several times. I like to use a slightly feathered edge of the tool and just go past the edges of what I want to change. Then uncheck the box, and begin to tweak the adjustment sliders to get what you want.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.08.26 AM.jpg

As in Photoshop, you're not going to be able to get all the way there in a single pass. The nice thing is that, like control points in Nik, you can replicate the Brush adjustment. Right-click on the Edit Pin in the image and choose Duplicate. This will put an identical second adjustment over top of the first. You can choose to tweak this one or simply leave it stand, and you can continue doing this as many times as you'd like until you achieve the desired effect.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.06.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.06.39 AM.jpg

The only problem with this method is that I have found no way of selecting individual brushes once they are stacked, so you can only tweak the top brush (though that's usually enough).

In Conclusion

So while I'm by no means declaring the death of HDR, I do want to stress that it's not always necessary to stress over bracketed images when you're out shooting because what you're seeing in your camera doesn't capture what you're looking at with your eyes. When that happens (as always), make sure you have a properly exposed image by checking the histogram in-camera (as always) and you should be able to make a beautiful picture when you get home.

Last edited:

480sparky

Re: Do You Really Need HDR When Your Sensor Already Has High Dynamic Range?

Why? Cause not everyone can afford new, top-shelf gear. Some folks are just damned happy to still be using their D40s and D60s.

BackdoorArts

All That Said, You Can Still Go HDR

If you're not convinced, know that you can still go with HDR even though you only have the one image.

Step 1 - Import to Lightroom

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.42.38 AM.jpg

Step 2
- Create as many Virtual Copies as you would like bracketed exposures

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.42.44 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.43.04 AM.jpg

Step 3 - In the Develop Module, change the exposure values to each the virtual images to the +/- bracketed amounts, in this case -4, -2, +2, +4

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.43.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.44.12 AM.jpg

Step 4 - Send the images to your HDR Software as you would normally

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.44.25 AM.jpg

OK, from here I can only be specific with HDR Efex Pro 2. If you use something else you will need to figure out how to adjust the exposure information so that the software treats it correctly.

Step 5 - Fool the software into thinking that they are bracketed exposures by adjusting the EV values (or metadata, if applicable - may need to do this prior to step 4).

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.44.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.45.01 AM.jpg

(Note - don't worry about what the preview looks like. I could have also unchecked the Ghost Reduction and CA buttons, but it doesn't hurt - that I know of)

Step 6 - Have at it in the HDR Program.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 9.45.29 AM.jpg

If you'll compare the last image, to which I applied the exact same preset as I did in the single image tone map in the original post, you can see that you have a much more natural looking image straight out of the box. I actually prefer this method to single image tone mapping most of the time as it will look less "flat" and more natural. But if you like the flattened look of an HDR image then the single image tone map may be better for you.

One More Thing!!! You Can Fake Bigger Bracket Series!!!

For folks with cameras that will only do 3 exposure brackets, if you shoot a 3 exposure series at +/-3EV, you can then use this technique to create 2 Virtual Copies of each image, adjust them to +/-1EV from the original image, and create a 9 exposure bracket series at 1EV increments (or if you go at +/-2EV on the original series then go +/-0.7 on each of the copies, etc.).

This will work with just about any Nikon, even those D40's and D60's, since they should all be able to support that level of adjustment.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Why? Cause not everyone can afford new, top-shelf gear. Some folks are just damned happy to still be using their D40s and D60s.

Sparky, you're reading too much into my tutorial. I clearly state "current generation sensors" in my intro. And it doesn't mean you can't use them when you have similar images with older sensors - you just may not be able to stretch as far.

The idea here is to put examples to the words I said in Scott's thread. It is not to knock older gear - or to knock HDR photography. I am simply showing that you don't need to shoot HDR when you can't get the camera to expose an image entirely just as you'd like it.

I really thought I was more than clear on all that. Heck, I even phrased the title in the form of a question.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

The one thing I've noticed in 'most' HDR pictures is that they tend to make a cloudy or partly cloudy day look like all hell is going to break out with a storm a brewin'. I don't particularly care for that tendancy, but more power to those that can truly master HDR and learn to overcome it's limitations.

Horoscope Fish

Sparky, you're reading too much into my tutorial. I clearly state "current generation sensors" in my intro. And it doesn't mean you can't use them when you have similar images with older sensors - you just may not be able to stretch as far.

The idea here is to put examples to the words I said in Scott's thread. It is not to knock older gear - or to knock HDR photography. I am simply showing that you don't need to shoot HDR when you can't get the camera to expose an image entirely just as you'd like it.

I really thought I was more than clear on all that. Heck, I even phrased the title in the form of a question.
Excellent posts, thank you, Jake. Your meaning was/is perfectly clear, BTW.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I couldn't disagree about the NEF files of the D800. Simply awesome when it comes to shadow recovery.

Great write up Jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveH

Great info Jake, thank you very much! And the virtual copies in Lightroom will be useful - I hadn't thought of doing it that way!

Dave_W

The Dude

I'm going to remove this thought since it really only applies to the title question of this thread whereas the thread itself is more of a "How to squeeze out maximum range from a single image". And Jake has answered that question fully. Great tutorial, Jake.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Great info Jake, thank you very much! And the virtual copies in Lightroom will be useful - I hadn't thought of doing it that way!

And the nice thing is, you only eat hard drive space for the single image, which can save you a bunch when you get over 24MP's. LR will still create actual Tiff files on the export to your HDR program, but those are temporary. And the cool thing is that if you don't like it with the brackets you have, change the number of files and the values. LR will let you go to +/-5 on the EV slider, which is likely more than all but the higher end cameras can handle.

And, I've added this in the HDR section above for late-comers, if you have a camera with a sensor that won't go +/-5EV on a single frame, you can shoot a 3-image series at +/-3EV straight from the camera, and then create +/-1EV copies from each of those and wind up with a 9-frame HDR series!!

Last edited:

Lee532

Great write up Jake. In LR5 when using the brush tool checking the "Auto Mask" Box will help protect edges. Although it can do some strange things at times.

BackdoorArts

Great write up, Jake but there's a variable you've left out of the equation - skill of the person doing the PP. It would be instructive to take a single image from a sequence of bracketed images and work it up. And then compare it with the corresponding HDR complied by some else equally skilled at HDR. At that point we can ask the question whether a single image can demonstrate the same dynamic range as a series of images. Because HDR requires a skill level unlike the skills needed on a single image PP. It would also remove any question of bias either way, too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dave, I agree the level of skill has a lot to do with success in producing HDR images. My intention here is not to provide a roadmap to getting all the way home, it's meant more as a way to improve your starting off point when you wanted to shoot something that the camera refused to capture because of the lighting conditions. As I've stated in the original post, none of the images shown at the end of each method are meant to serve as finished examples. Each method is simply a first step in getting the photographer closer to what they had hoped they'd get when they shot the image. There are plenty of posts to be found here that ask about why something metered the way it did, or how can they possibly take a photo in lighting conditions when every metering mode produces similar hot/cold images. I contend that these techniques can help save a lot of those. Just how much will depend on the limitations of the camera and the person doing the post processing.

That said, I'd be happy to work up something showing the same set of bracketed images taken through the HDR process, with one set being the full set of bracketed images, and the other being just the '0' images with EV manipulation in Lightroom. My contention is that the limitations of where you can go with that depend primarily on the limitations of the sensor, and secondarily on the person given that back half is an "all things being equal" component.

And again, this is not about bias towards or away from HDR, it's about alternatives to situations where the photographer might feel that in order to get the image they want for a certain lighting situation they need to use HDR tools. Like all PP, it's a tool in the chest of the photographer, and one that requires work to understand and use. I could put the same 3 bracketed images up and ask 20 different people (of similar skill levels or not) to process them any way they want, HDR or otherwise, and I suspect we'd wind up with some very different, while altogether pleasing images as a result.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Great write up Jake. In LR5 when using the brush tool checking the "Auto Mask" Box will help protect edges. Although it can do some strange things at times.

Thanks, Lee. I don't use the brush tool a lot in LR for pure masking, so I'm not surprised I missed that.

Dave_W

The Dude

Dave, I agree the level of skill has a lot to do with success in producing HDR images. My intention here is not to provide a roadmap to getting all the way home, it's meant more as a way to improve your starting off point when you wanted to shoot something that the camera refused to capture because of the lighting conditions. As I've stated in the original post, none of the images shown at the end of each method are meant to serve as finished examples. Each method is simply a first step in getting the photographer closer to what they had hoped they'd get when they shot the image. There are plenty of posts to be found here that ask about why something metered the way it did, or how can they possibly take a photo in lighting conditions when every metering mode produces similar hot/cold images. I contend that these techniques can help save a lot of those. Just how much will depend on the limitations of the camera and the person doing the post processing.

That said, I'd be happy to work up something showing the same set of bracketed images taken through the HDR process, with one set being the full set of bracketed images, and the other being just the '0' images with EV manipulation in Lightroom. My contention is that the limitations of where you can go with that depend primarily on the limitations of the sensor, and secondarily on the person given that back half is an "all things being equal" component.

And again, this is not about bias towards or away from HDR, it's about alternatives to situations where the photographer might feel that in order to get the image they want for a certain lighting situation they need to use HDR tools. Like all PP, it's a tool in the chest of the photographer, and one that requires work to understand and use. I could put the same 3 bracketed images up and ask 20 different people (of similar skill levels or not) to process them any way they want, HDR or otherwise, and I suspect we'd wind up with some very different, while altogether pleasing images as a result.

I think what you have shown is perfect the way it is. I would say the title question might be misleading since the tutorial is more of a "how to maximize your dynamic range using only a single image" but that doesn't take anything away from the excellence of your post. It's one of those rare tutorials that shows us how to do something that is very applicable to everyday photography and not one of those mile long Photoshop tour-de-force tutorials that few people would ever use. My hat off to you sir for taking the time to write something up that we can all use! Bravo!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Great tutorial Jake, thanks for posting it.

BackdoorArts

I'm going to remove this thought since it really only applies to the title question of this thread whereas the thread itself is more of a "How to squeeze out maximum range from a single image". And Jake has answered that question fully. Great tutorial, Jake.

Dave, I think the question you asked, while not necessarily pertinent to the tutorial, was a good one and deserved some exploration. In light of that, I've created the following thread to allow anyone who wants to explore the possibilities of these techniques vs. traditional HDR, with each person working within their own limits as a post-processor - though I hope this will stretch some of them.

http://nikonites.com/hdr/21965-hdr-not-hdr-photo-challenge.html

I think it will be cool to see what folks come up with, and I hope that each person who tries it posts more than one image.