D4 Owners: Autofocus Settings?

crycocyon

So I know all about the different autofocus settings on the D4. But I have a problem with back-focus when in Auto mode. If in single point mode its better but not always perfect, and I'm finding I have to do a focus compensation of about -8 to get it tack sharp, and it isn't consistent. I did the focus compensation just by focusing on a flat object so nothing even that complex. This has been an issue with the focus finding a face and locking onto the eyes properly. If someone is in 3/4 view, for example, it would be focusing on the far eye, not the near eye, so it is a small difference, but still noticeable when shooting at wider apertures. I've tried 51 point Auto, 51 point single, and usually shoot with AF-C, although I've tried AF-S as well. I didn't see a point in trying 3D focus. I have the focus priority set to shoot and I wait for it to finish focusing. But even when finished, it still sometimes is focusing to the hairline rather than the eyes. I've also of course tried focus then shoot but I didn't see an improvement. This is all with the 50 mm f1.4G and it doesn't seem to make a different what aperture I use. f1.4 to 2.8 all seem about the same. It might occur a bit less with the 85 1.4G but I've done most of the testing with the 50. Just curious if anyone else with a D4 has noticed this and had to compensate or any suggestions of other things I should test.