My macro

Scott Murray

I have been asked for awhile now what do I use for macro, well the one thing that is a must in macro is even light. The cheapest form of even light I have found and am still using is on camera flash. So basically any camera with on board flash can give enough light to light anything they like. Here are some examples.

D60_2148.jpg

This is a foam diffuser (partial because of the sides cut off). But this makes up 98.5% of my shots. WHY? well it's attached directly to the Raynox DCR-250 and with that I can clip it on to any lens within its range and have a macro lens with diffuser.

I also have my Micro lens from Raynox as you can see on the left, but due to testing not being accurate I am not happy to announce this lens but you will see that I have 'moulded' the foam around the lens for better even light fall off.

D60_2151.jpg

Scott Murray

I see people using the tubes and some using the TC's. Have you ever used extension tubes? Just curious about them and it seems to be mixed reviews.
Honestly never used them, But apparently if I set up some toilet tissue holders they will do the same job. So bare with me and I will go off and experiment.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Question for you, Scott. Do you do any dodging to the lower parts of your photos in post? The reason I'm asking is because I've heard that the light from a regular flash gets cut off from the lower part of the photo because the lens is so close and blocks the light. That's why ring lights were designed. HOWEVER, your photos look incredible, and I don't see that happening. Do you do anything to enhance the light on the lower part of your subjects? :confused:

Scott Murray

Question for you, Scott. Do you do any dodging to the lower parts of your photos in post? The reason I'm asking is because I've heard that the light from a regular flash gets cut off from the lower part of the photo because the lens is so close and blocks the light. That's why ring lights were designed. HOWEVER, your photos look incredible, and I don't see that happening. Do you do anything to enhance the light on the lower part of your subjects? :confused:
I will post a straight out of camera shot.

This is SOOC

D60_2166-2.jpg

D60_2166-3.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Murray

I think I actually counter act the brightening with my quick edit.