Weird spot on LCD .. has anyone else had this problem?

ChrisM

I grabbed my camera today to take a few pics and noticed there was a strange red dot showing up on the lcd screen. At first I thought it was something on the lens, but I checked and it was crystal clear. Then I noticed that when I was scrolling through images on my memory card, it was on every shot, but I knew I never saw any spot when I uploaded the same pics to my computer. So I double checked. I took a shot and viewed the pic on my computer, no red spot. I called Nikon and they said it sounded like a problem with the LCD screen. I could either send it in for repair or return it to the store since I've only had it for a week. I went and exchanged it for a new one. I'm assuming that one will be fine. Just wondering if anyone else had a little red pixel pop up like that? Or have any clue what might have caused it?

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

I'm going to assume it's the D3100, since you're posting this in the D3100 section. Am I correct? :) And that little red dot is called pixelation on the LCD screen. It won't show up on your final picture, but it is annoying to see on the screen, I'm sure. At least you got to exchange it for a new one.

ChrisM

hehehe..no worries, Ranie. :) I do wish people would fill in their camera equipment details so we wouldn't have to ask all the time, right? :)

Why does my cam info keep disappearing??? I've put it in twice now, but it won't stay!! Here's to hoping the third time is the charm.

ChrisM

Nope, still won't stay ... i'll try from the desktop later, it may have something to do with the version of IE i'm running on my laptop.

JohnFrench

Just for the record, I bought a new laptop computer a few years ago, and it has a red pixel on the screen all the time. I live with it. Nikon does have a section in their literature included with the D3100 about this issue. My brother once bought a Mac tower computer/monitor, and the monitor had a dead pixel right in the center of the screen, it went back for a different one.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Sounds like a hot pixel. It's kind of like a bad pixel in a LCD screen. I had one with my d5000 - sent it to Nikon under warranty and it returned hot pixel free.