Used D7000 Price

Redtail55

What's a good price to pay for a used D7000 body on today's market ? I see the prices range from $500 to $800 depending on what the owner thinks it's worth.The other pertinent question is how high is too high of a shutter count and should that reflect in the price one is willing to pay?Thnx

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What's a good price to pay for a used D7000 body on today's market ? I see the prices range from $500 to $800 depending on what the owner thinks it's worth.The other pertinent question is how high is too high of a shutter count and should that reflect in the price one is willing to pay?Thnx

Just remember that asking this question on this forum does not guarantee in any way that you will get a right answer. As far as I know, we are not dealing with cameras and, as much as we can look around in our respective markets, it doesn't mean that it will be the same ball park figures for your area. If you look around on the bay and adds on the net, you probably can see what the price is.

If I was looking, I'd trust a reputable shop like b&H or Adorama that would offer you a certain warranty contrary to personal adds on the net where you could get stuck with a problem camera that you could regret afterwards.

dragion

I would highly recommend purchasing refurbished instead...at least you will have the chance of return back to the online store and will be covered at least 90 days warranty from Nikon.
Don't worry about the shutter count so much, the D7000 has been proven up to 150,000...I got mine refurbished with over 10,000 and I'm really happy with mine!
This just proves that the sensor is good.

carguy

Yep, checkout places like Adorama, KEH and Roberts Camera for a NIKON refurbished body.

For used values, a good idea can be had from searching COMPLETED/SOLD auctions on ebay for D7000 bodies.

Good Luck!

Redtail55

Buying from the US is not an option for me as the exchange rate would nullify any savings on the camera . I'll keep an eye out for something around me and see what pops up , maybe a used D 300 would be an option too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Buying from the US is not an option for me as the exchange rate would nullify any savings on the camera . I'll keep an eye out for something around me and see what pops up , maybe a used D 300 would be an option too .

You could then try Henry's

Redtail55

Speaking of Henry's , they have the D7000 down to $699 for the body only which is good but I'd only get $200 for my D3200 if I traded it back in which is not much considering I paid almost$600 + for the kit only 4 months
ago .

Blacktop

I'm also a D3100 owner, and are also starting to look at the D7000. If that is all I'm going to get for my camera, I might as well just keep it, or give it to one of my nephews as a gift.
I only paid $389+tax for the kit when Wal-Mart was running a special on them, but still.

Redtail55

It's too bad they don't retain any value , they're almost getting like throwaways like cell phones

dragion

I'm also a D3100 owner, and are also starting to look at the D7000. If that is all I'm going to get for my camera, I might as well just keep it, or give it to one of my nephews as a gift.
I only paid $389+tax for the kit when Wal-Mart was running a special on them, but still.

This is the same reason why I still own mine.
I purchased the D3100 w/18-55mm kit for almost $600 on sale over 2 years ago...sold the lens, but was low balled on Craigslist for the D3100 body plus aftermarket grip/extra battery.
I rather keep it as a backup then to be ripped off!

It might be an entry level camera, but still takes excellent photos...pretty much better than any non DSLR.
With the right lens combo, it can shine. :cool:

Redtail55

Yes I know how ya feel , I couldn't afford a D7100 at the onset and opted for a D3200 but in hindsight I should have bought a used D90 or something that would be better for BIF. Now I'm regretting the purchase of it .

dukatum

If I was looking, I'd trust a reputable shop like b&H or Adorama that would offer you a certain warranty contrary to personal adds on the net where you could get stuck with a problem camera that you could regret afterwards.

Since moving from London to Dubai I shop from all over the world, but I've never understood American's love for B&H and Adorama. I find their prices for 2nd hand stuff really expensive. You can pick up a brand new version of the same product for only a small increase ($100?) from other sites like DigitalRev.com. Service is brilliant, manufacturers warranties is normal as expected and free shipping to most countries.

I'd only be willing to pay higher prices to a local family run store, otherwise just get it off the tinterwebs for cheaper.

Redtail55

I'm finding that out regarding pricing in cameras , must be a huge margin in used items for retailers cuz they certainly don't pay enough out to buy it back and want way to much to sell it.
Being in Canada we take a bit of a hit for buying from the USA with our dollar being down also.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm finding that out regarding pricing in cameras , must be a huge margin in used items for retailers cuz they certainly don't pay enough out to buy it back and want way to much to sell it.
Being in Canada we take a bit of a hit for buying from the USA with our dollar being down also.

Stores are in business to make money, period. They can't afford to sell a used item, give it some warranty, and not make the same or more profit margin as when they sell a new item. I don't know how much margin they can make on camera bodies, but it can't be less than 30% even if they refuse to acknowledge this. When I try to get a bargain, I'm always told that their margin is less than 10% which can't be true otherwise they wouldn't stay in business long. So my advice to you is try to sell your camera by yourself on Kijiji or another personal of your choice, and then see where you want to buy your next camera.

SteveH

Since moving from London to Dubai I shop from all over the world, but I've never understood American's love for B&H and Adorama. I find their prices for 2nd hand stuff really expensive. You can pick up a brand new version of the same product for only a small increase ($100?) from other sites like DigitalRev.com. Service is brilliant, manufacturers warranties is normal as expected and free shipping to most countries.

I'd only be willing to pay higher prices to a local family run store, otherwise just get it off the tinterwebs for cheaper.

I bought my D7100 from DigitalRev too, after others recommended them - I paid £629 ($1055) so around £200 cheaper than UK internet based sellers. Very happy with the service and would definitely buy from them again.

Redtail55

I can understand that they need to remain in business but my camera is only 5 months old and it's worth less than half the retail price if I traded it back in , not a good experience as a new customer and photographer IMO

dragion

I can understand that they need to remain in business but my camera is only 5 months old and it's worth less than half the retail price if I traded it back in , not a good experience as a new customer and photographer IMO

This is very common regarding any kind of purchase...not just photography as you might know.
Such as automobiles, cellphones...etc. You never get back what's it worth.