Paper wasp

Scott Murray

I have a lot of respect for these things as I got stung 6 times in a matter of milli seconds when I accidentally brushed a bush with their nest on it. Luckily below me was some water and I jumped from the rock face into nice fresh water.

Anyway here is one just outside my back yard.

I was only game to fire off the one shot, luckily it was in focus ;)

SHM_3322.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a lot of respect for these things as I got stung 6 times in a matter of milli seconds when I accidentally brushed a bush with their nest on it. Luckily below me was some water and I jumped from the rock face into nice fresh water.

Anyway here is one just outside my back yard.

I was only game to fire off the one shot, luckily it was in focus ;)

View attachment 82281

This is an excellent shot Scott, but if it was mine, I'd flip it 180 degrees so the bee would look upside up. I know that this is how it was, but it makes it hard to look at with this orientation.

Scott Murray

This is an excellent shot Scott, but if it was mine, I'd flip it 180 degrees so the bee would look upside up. I know that this is how it was, but it makes it hard to look at with this orientation.
I know what you mean but I like keeping things natural ;)

DraganDL

Nice photo. Keep it like that (if the 6 was 9, it wouldn't be that fine:p)...
Seriously: I don't know which "element" I like more here - the composition, or the beautiful color combo of green+dark green+gold&brown, or the way the DoF is applied. But only together, these "elements" do the magic.

Whiskeyman

Marcel,

Just do what I did and stand on your head when viewing this shot; it looks just like it should! ;)

WM

Pretzel

He *DID* flip it, but remember, he's from "down under", so you're viewing from the wrong perspective. ;)

wev

Contributor
We have them here in abundance (I've posted a few shots) and this time of year I do a weekly walk about the department and my home complex looking for nests. The 200mm zoom is very handy for looking up into 20' high eaves and overhangs. The worst are the nests built on the hairy trunks of palm trees -- very hard to spot. Lovely pic.