Nikon D7100 shaky image through view finder

blakevan

Need some help with my new Nikon D7100. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior or should I send it back to Nikon. Hard to tell with this video but the image in the view finder jumps around a lot and is a bit frustrating.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4aXIo0KcYAlso I have a number of photos taken where NOTHING is in focus. I mean the entire shot is out of focus. I have taken pictures with my older D5100 and I screwed up but at least some part of the picture was always in focus.https://www.flickr.com/photos/38159687@N00/sets/72157643661490764/

We need a lot more details. What shutter speed, what aperture, what ISO? What lens? How does it act when you have it on a tripod?
It just looks like you have a long lens and a shaky hand and a slow shutter speed.

Horoscope Fish

I watched your video several times and the display in the viewfinder does look jittery to me, and not in a "shaky hands" sort of way. Rather odd. Do you have a camera repair place locally that could take a look at it for you?

DraganDL

Why did you "accelerate" the video recording (or it only seems to me so)?

"I have taken pictures with my older D5100 and I screwed up but at least some part of the picture was always in focus" - this statement needs to be clarified:

-do you mean "SOMETIMES screwed up" (or it was a constant problem with your D5100)
-quite often it happens that only SOME part of the picture is in focus (usually, a substantial "portion" of a photo is out of focus - it is normal)

Last edited:

blakevan

The video is straight off my iPhone unaltered. The jitterness is crazy and I have sent a support question to Nikon. The focus problem: I mean when I pick the wrong focus point in aperture mode. i.e. the kids face next to my kid instead of my kid. I didn't know flickr stripped all the data out of the file but why would any of the settings matter to a focus point? I'm not trying to be a butt but just trying to understand you question. I typically shoot in aperture mode and then let the camera decide all the other important stuff. again, not trying to snarky just more of a newbee.

Upload a photo here using the instructions below. no more than 1000PX on the long side is important.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

DraganDL

"The focus problem: I mean when I pick the wrong focus point in aperture mode. i.e. the kids face next to my kid instead of my kid"

In order not to get into such problematic situation, I advise you to reduce number of "dots" from 39 to only one (1), in the center of the frame. That will help you not to accidentally "switch" the focus from the desired point to another (not desired) point within the frame.
Another thing: you've got to carefully study the user's manual, chapters that are dealing with the auto focus modes (if you had set any of the "servo" AF variants like "tracking", the "dot" might keep hunting for focus even AFTER you think you achieved your focus, no matter that you're keeping the shutter button half-pressed).

DraganDL

The blurry photos are those taken with the lens zoomed-in (30mm and up) while almost all "wide angle" photos (18mm) are focused correctly. Could be something wrong with this lens (18-200mm).

Horoscope Fish

The focus point is moving around as if you have your autofocus set to AF-C with 3D Tracking enabled.

Change that setting to AF-S and either S or 9 points.

blakevan

Cool, I think that solves the focus problem. I did watch a ton of youtube videos but changing from the 5100 to the 7100 brought more of a learning curve then I expected. But actually that is why I stepped up to the 7100 to up my game. I do remember watching about AF-S vs. AF-C just need to practice some more with the machine in real world. I do typically change the light meter from single point to center but haven't messed enough with the focus parts.Regards the VR, yes, I do have that switch on on the lens. I will wait to hear back from Nikon about the image jumping around.Thank you for all the replies. Seems like a very helpful and friendly group of people.

Last edited:

blakevan

Ok, I think another friend sorted this out. It is the VR lens not the camera body. If someone mentioned that earlier I didn't see it. If I put my 18-55 lens on the camera I cannot get it to jump. The funny part is it does it even if I turn off VR on the 18-200 lens.

Last edited:

blakevan

The Paul Harvey:Nikon updated the firmware and tested the body with nothing found. The lens on the other hand was completely rebuilt for a fair price. Happy to have my equipment back and happy with the service Nikon provided.