Nikon d7000 vs. Nikon d90?

ayedrianna

Hi! I'm 14 & I LOVE photography! I am planning to become a part-time photographer when I grow up, and I am looking to become a professional. I currently own a nikon d5000 (&have had it for almost a year), & For my birthday (which is in 7 months) my dad said I can get another camera. I am deciding between a nikon d7000 & d90. Price is not a huge concern, but I just want a superb camera that can take amazing photos. I want the best one for the best photos. Thanks!

Joseph Bautsch

Welcome to the Nikonites Community. I would go for the D7000. I own and use the D90 but the D7000 has more current technology. It's all Nikon so you can't go wrong in any case. Also please complete your profile with some information about yourself, camera, lens, and any other equipment you may be using. This is a friendly and great site to get questions answered and learn about photography. Let us know which camera you get. Enjoy.

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Adriana. Not much I can add to what Joseph already said, other than to enjoy this site to its fullest> I'm sure you'll have fun here and learn a lot. :) Oh..........and if price isn't a concern.....wait just a bit on your next purchase. I believe there's a newer Nikon coming out on the market very soon. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As much as you want the better camera body, you have to remind yourself that the camera won't take the picture. An even if the camera is better, the picture might not be.
I own both the D90 and D7000 and like them both. The D90 is capable of stunning images depending on the lens you use on it. The D7000 is great to but a little more unforgivable (errors are multiplied). From your post, you mention that you want to be a photographer when you grow up, I'd suggest you to get the D90. Camera bodies change every few years and there is always going to be something better coming out. Lenses on the other hand can last you a lifetime. This is why I would like you to seriously consider the D90 with a pro lens. The results will come very close to the D7000.
Photography is all about learning to see and exploit light. The camera doesn't see that, only you can learn how to interpret light to make great pictures.
Enjoy your future new camera and keep learning.
Marcel

Joseph Bautsch

A different approach. If you want to be a professional photographer the D90 is a camera you will grow out of and the D7000 is one to grow into. In other words to be a professional photographer you have to be on top of the current technologies and you can't do that with an old technologies camera. A pro lens won't teach you the current digital camera shooting techniques. You will always make mistakes no matter what body you are using. Making mistakes is the way you learn. Learn to see and exploit light with the best camera digital technology available.

Obir

Welcome ayedrianna.
At your age and given your hopes of becoming a photographer, I'd say go with the latest possible technology you can afford. True, the camera doesn't make the photographer, but you have a whole life ahead to learn, practice and get better at it. Imho, it's best to learn using the latest tech.
and not be behind before you even start.
Just my 2 cnts.