P520 battery

taosmay

I recently bought a new P520 camera. I have only used it a couple times. After unpacking it and going over the manual, I inserted a SD card and charged the battery. I took a few photos around home which seemed to be okay, and turned it off. A couple weeks later I turned it on to prep for a hike, and noticed the battery strength seemed low, so I gave it a full charge while turned off. The very next day I took it on a hike and only got about 30 pic's in before it said: battery depleted. After getting home I again gave it a full charge while off, then turned it on, took one shot with the flash, and it immediately said battery depleted. Seems like a faulty battery to me, and hopefully nothing else is wrong. Any suggestions on where to get another Nikon battery for this model? Any other thoughts on what might be wrong?Harold

DraganDL

It's definitely a battery. But, nevertheless, take a look at this review: Nikon P520 review | Cameralabs

citations: "the 200 shot capacity of the COOLPIX P520 quite a limitation, with the low battery indicator appearing all too soon"; "There is an optional external charger available, the MH-61"

taosmay

It's definitely a battery. But, nevertheless, take a look at this review: Nikon P520 review | Cameralabscitations: "the 200 shot capacity of the COOLPIX P520 quite a limitation, with the low battery indicator appearing all too soon"; "There is an optional external charger available, the MH-61"
DragonDL: Thank you for the reply and the review link. I need to read more up on this camera, so that review helps. Should have read it before buying this camera though. Might buy one of two new batteries...

DraganDL

Sorry to bring the bad news: the point'n'shoot cameras (including the so-called megazoom models) are characterized (among the other things) by being equipped with relatively low capacity batteries. From what I gathered, the best result in this regard is achieved with the 4 AA battery pacs (of, course, if the specific model supports them) provided that these batteries actually belong with the NiMH type - a few years ago I used to shoot with one of the Fuji's "megazooms" in combination with 4 Eneready 2200 mAh, with which I was able to squeeze out 400+ shots per charge, half of which were taken with the internal flash!
But nowadays the producers are not so happy about letting people make their choices in terms of the power supply of their cameras - the photographer is mainly restricted to use the "original" (that is: camera model-specific) batteries which are, except for those made for the upper class DSLR models, capable of "covering" 150-300 shots per one charge... Money makes the World go 'round...

Last edited:

taosmay

If I can get it to take from 150-200 pics on a full charge, like the review suggests, that suits my needs. But only 30 pics then the next time one pic is unacceptable. I'll buy one or two new batteries for this camera. Any suggestions where to buy Nikon batteries? Thanks.

skizzerflake

I don't recall who it was, but a Google search for EL-EN5 batteries yielded a number of sites that sell them way cheaper than the ones with the Nikon logo on them. I bought two extras plus a charger for something like $25. They seem to last nearly as long as the original equipment. I keep them charged and in my bag. You're right, 30 shots is not enough; you probably have a bad battery.