wide angle lens needed for concert .. suggestions?

CJC

I currently have the following:

D610
D7000

50 1.4 G
85 1.8 G
135 2 DC

I'm looking for a wide angle to do a concert from the pit and I'm not sure what to get. I've thought of maybe a fisheye or a 24 2.8 or 20 2.8 ..
I don't have a pile of money to throw around, but if anyone could make some suggestions on wide/ultra-wide zooms and primes, would be greatly appreciated. Would likely need a 2.8 at minimum. (Also, has anyone used a 16-35 4 at a concert before? .. just curious on performance of that lens).

Thanks!

480sparky

Without knowing the math, an answer cannot be given. Need to know two things:

Your distance to the subject, and the width/height you need to record. From that, a field of view can be computed and therefor a lens with a wide enough FOV to cover the subject.

Blacktop

I currently have the following:

D610
D7000

50 1.4 G
85 1.8 G
135 2 DC

I'm looking for a wide angle to do a concert from the pit and I'm not sure what to get. I've thought of maybe a fisheye or a 24 2.8 or 20 2.8 ..
I don't have a pile of money to throw around, but if anyone could make some suggestions on wide/ultra-wide zooms and primes, would be greatly appreciated. Would likely need a 2.8 at minimum. (Also, has anyone used a 16-35 4 at a concert before? .. just curious on performance of that lens).

Thanks!

Looks like you need something less then a 50.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
16-35mm f4 requires more light for that venue. 24-70 mm f2.8 will be more ideal. Rent one if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aroy

Can you do a recce of the concert site. If you can, mount the 18-55 on D7000 and check the FOV. If you do not have it, you can borrow this kit lense from any one or at a pinch rent it. Once you know the focal length that is ideal for your shoot on the DX sensor, you can calculate the focal length for FF sensor.

In case you do not have to focus and refocus a lot, a manual focus 28mm f2.8 AIS would be great. If that is too long then a 20mm f2.8 should do.

eal1

have you considered renting the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 for your D610? Or, renting any other lens you are considering purchasing?

dragion

My suggestion...
Look into a 17-50mm f/2.8 either from Sigma or Tamron. Equivalent to a 24-70mm on D610.
This range might be wide enough and close enough to capture portraits with the D7000.

Phillydog1958

16-35mm f4 requires more light for that venue. 24-70 mm f2.8 will be more ideal. Rent one if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I'd agree with Glenn. The 16-35 is great, but the 24-70 would probably be ideal for shooting in low-light situations. I've not used my 16-35 in low-light venues. I plan on trying it out in low light soon. I just rarely find myself in that situation. I also want to add that the 16-35 does have VR, which Nikon added, because they felt that VR would allow for the lens to perform better in low light and make up for the speed issue (Longer hand-held exposures). Personally, the 24-70 is on my wish list. I'm just waiting for a great price opportunity to come about. I've seen new units on ebay for $1300-$1500. I can't pay Nikon's MSRP of almost $1900.

Last edited: