Shadows

Welshy74

Just got my 40mm micro lens. Have been practising but keep getting a shadow in the picture. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing to avoid it. Brand new to photography

aroy

Please post your photograph so we can see what you are talking about.

This is one of the reasons of using longer macro lenses - 105mm or 180mm. The shorter lenses are extremely near the subject, so you may get either your own shadow or the subjects shadow. With longer lenses you have space to use bounce or separate flash to get rid of the shadows, but with short focal length lenses that is a problem.

Scott Murray

Just got my 40mm micro lens. Have been practising but keep getting a shadow in the picture. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing to avoid it. Brand new to photography
Sounds like the end of your lens is blocking the flash out put, place a 'white foam' diffuser on the end to spread the flash light and see if that helps.

Michael J.

If you get to close to the subject and using the camera in flash that is a tricky capture. I don't do this again cos of the shadows. And as well if you to close and the light is somwhere over your head. For me, it doesn't work.

But i love my 40mm on the D5100 but just using in different way and the result is great. For me was it a learning by doing.