ND Filter for Nikon D5200

super

I want to create this effect: RMills Photography | Favorites | Photo 33

I was told that this effect can be creating by using ND Filter and using 3 bracketing in Nikon D5200 then merging the images just like how HDR is done via photomatrix or something.

1) Can this be done within camera too ? if yes, how can it be done in D5200, can anyone explain steps ?

2) What is the difference in polarizer and ND Filter ? what should I get ? I want something that can be used with all lens.

3) I see polarizer only comes circular so I am thinking it can;t be used with all lenses ? like 77mm polarizer ?

I guess getting ND filer with holder will be a better idea ?

Ijustwant1

Hello. Super! You are asking about the D5200 and your profile says you have the D5100! But anyway as to 1) yes the D5100/5200 can do in camera HDR however I think it is only a two photo version ! Have a look in the manual under HDR !
Ok there are many people that can explain better than me but this might be helpful as a stating point ! The guys and girls with the know how will no doubt expand the details!
2) A polariser cuts the glare and let's you "look through water" much the same as your polarised sunglasses , I think PL filters only come in circular ! ND filters reduce the amount of light coming into camera , and come in different densities! Lens are many sizes !
3) get a 77mm with adapters for smaller lens!

nickt

I just realized that is [MENTION=4399]Rick M[/MENTION] 's website. He might be willing to tell you all about that shot.

Smoke

I have both types of filters and I also have a D5200. The polarizing filter is for what Ijustwant1 said. It reduces glare. The ND filters are like sunglasses for your camera. It allows you to take long exposures during the day. My wife bought me a set of 3. One is darker than the next and you can stack them to get the correct amount of light coming through. The picture that you listed is done by doing a long exposure. If you did this without a ND filter(s), the picture would come out totally white.

Rick M

This shot was done using a Nd filter (3 stop) as mentioned to slow the shutter. It was also 3 bracketed exposures (0, -2, +2), using the auto-bracketing feature in your camera. It was then merged in Photomatix (cheap version) and finished in Lightroom. The in-camera HDR is only 2 Jpeg images as mentioned and leaves you little to work with.

nickt

It is worth mentioning that variable neutral density filters consist of two polarizing filters. It might be a source of confusion between ND and polarizing filters.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Hi super. You received some good info already so I'll try not to repeat the same things that have already been said.

1. You can either create HDR using the in-camera option or manually setting your camera to bracket multiple shots. Many people prefer to use software such as Photomatix which yields more control over the outcome. Generally bracketing for at least 3 exposures like Rick mentioned is normal. Some people even bracket with 5 exposures.

2. There are a couple types of polarizers--circular and linear. Linear isn't for DSLR's so stick with a circular polarizer. A circular polarizer will lengthen your shutter speed but not nearly as much as an ND filter. It can help to pop colors such as the changing fall leaves, but to do so it needs to be used correctly. The sunlight needs to hit your subject from a specific direction. In addition to helping reflections in water, it also helps cut reflections on glass (such as windows).

3. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by #3. Filter dimensions are measured by lens diameter. For example--the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 takes a 77mm filter. That means the front part of the lens measures 77mm wide. A few lenses are wider than 77mm; however, less expensive lenses tend to be narrower than 77mm. Now suppose you had the Nikon 18-55mm VR lens. That has a filter diameter of 52mm. When you buy filters, the cheapest thing is to buy the size that fits your largest diameter lens then use a step up ring as an adapter. The adapter will allow the large diameter filter to be used on narrower diameter lenses. So...a 77mm filter can easily be used on a lens that takes 52mm filters. It can be used on lenses that take 67mm filters, 58mm filters, etc. A step up ring is relatively inexpensive (maybe $7-$10) which is a lot less than buying a filter to fit each lens. HOWEVER, as nickt said, if you use a step up ring with a larger filter than what your lens takes, your lens hood most likely can't be used.

Neutral density filters come in different strengths. A 3-stop filter will slow down your shutter speed by 3 stops. A 6-stop will slow it down by 6 stops. The longer the shutter is open, the smoother water will look. Some ND filters are 9 or 10 stops.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

super

Thanks guys for your advise - I love this forum and members. everyone is so helpful - Rick, I like your pictures a lot :)
I have 35mm, 18-55 & 55-300 - which filter I should get and adapter. I am not looking to spend a lot of money, just want something cheap for now. can anyone please share any link where I can buy ? like from ebay or amazon ?

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I have 33mm, 18-55 & 55-300 - which filter I should get and adapter.

What lens is this? I'm assuming it is some type of 35mm but which brand? Your 55-300mm lens takes a 58mm filter so that is the larger of the two zooms.

There are many filter manufacturers out there such as Hoya, Tiffen, B&W to name a few. B&H recently had the Hoya 77mm NDx400 HMC filter on sale for $49. It is a 9 stop ND filter. Since I have a lens that takes 77mm filters, I bought it. 3-stop filters should be less expensive than 9 or 10 stop filters, but they won't create as smooth and glassy a surface as a 9 or 10 stop. That said, Rick says he used a 3 stop filter to create this effect so it might be best to start with a 3 stop for now.

Below is a 3 stop ND filter that comes with a filter thread size of 58mm. It would fit your 55-300mm lens, and if you were to get a step up ring (size 52-58mm) it would also work on your 18-55mm zoom lens. However, you need to identify the filter size for the other lens I questioned (33mm) before buying anything. Here is the Hoya 3 stop ND filter:

Hoya 58mm Neutral Density (NDX8) 0.9 Filter A58ND8X B&H Photo

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
If you can justify the extra cost of buying a 6 stop ND filter rather than a 3 stop, the benefit of obtaining even slower shutter speeds will be advantageous. Again, it depends upon the diameter of the ones lens I questioned. On the front of that '33mm' lens should be a number. Here is what you should look for:

LensCapMeasure3.jpg

It's a ø symbol followed by a number. That number represents the filter size you need for a particular lens.

And here are a couple of links. One is for a 6 stop ND filter--the price is a few dollars less on Adorama than on B&H. And the other link is an example of step up ring. HOWEVER, please don't get anything until you determine the correct filter size for the lens you listed as '33mm'. If it is larger than 58mm in diameter, then it would be best to buy your filter in that size.

Hoya 58mm DMC PRO1 Digital ND64X (1.8) ND Filter XD58ND64

Adorama Step-Up Adaptr Ring 52mm Lens to 58mm Filter SUR5258

Photo courtesy of this web site link: https://www.cameraclean.co.uk/images/Help&Guidance/LensCapMeasure3.jpg

super

Sorry guy, I meant 35mm, that was a typing mistake.

I have the following lenses:

• AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Sorry guy, I meant 35mm, that was a typing mistake.

I have the following lenses:

• AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

Okay. That lens takes a 52mm filter so the info I listed above should work. There may be other brands of filters available, and depending upon whether you want to start with a 3-stop or 6-stop neutral density filter, there may be others that are less expensive.

3-stop: Hoya 58mm Neutral Density (NDX8) 0.9 Filter A58ND8X B&H Photo
6-stop: Hoya 58mm DMC PRO1 Digital ND64X (1.8) ND Filter XD58ND64
52-58mm step up ring: Adorama Step-Up Adaptr Ring 52mm Lens to 58mm Filter SUR5258

Either of these filters and the step up ring will work with all 3 of your lenses. If you can afford the 6-stop instead of the 3-stop, it will be more versatile in the long run.

Horoscope Fish

[Plug]

I'm just going to pop in and pass along some information for anyone in the market for a CPL.

After going through I don't know how many CPL's I've found Extreme Joy with Hoya HD Multicoated filters (link goes to 52mm variety on Amazon). These things are chock full of sheer, unadulterated Awesome Sauce. The glass is damn near "Gorilla Glass" tough and if you've ever tried cleaning a multi-coated filter you know what a Herculean task that is, assuming it can be done at all. The Hoya HD filters clean up, spotlessly(!) with a wipe of a dry microfiber cloth. Seriously, it's as easy as cleaning a bathroom mirror. They also have a higher rate of light transmission (you lose about 1/2 stop from what I can tell), which is nice, and they polarize really nicely, too. They're not the cheapest but I'm way impressed. These CPL's are what all my lenses wear now by default.

[/Plug]

Rick M

I just picked up the Hoya pro 77mm 6-stop for $55 at BH. They must be discontinuing them, last year they were well over $100. Great buy!

Also any filters you get, including ND's, buy Multi-coated, much easier to clean as Horoscope said!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
So I got Step-Up Adaptr Ring 52mm Lens to 58mm, it fits 18-55 & 35mm but it does NOT fit 55-300 ?

It looks like your 55-300mm lens is sized to take a 58mm filter so you won't need to add the adapter to it. The adapter is for your other 2 lenses. Now you should be able to use 58mm sized filters on all 3 of your lenses. :)

SteveH

I would suggest looking at the filter kits with various sized adapters. Then you can use the same filters on most if not all of your lenses... I know LEE do sets, and some cheaper less quality ones are available on Amazon if your aren't sure how often you'd use them.