Image Quality Inquiry

puchekit

I am interested in taking a photo of a 14" by 17" panel. The fine details of the panel are crutial for the purpose of my experiment, and so far I have tested at 5200 against a 610. After evaluating my images, the results showed that the D5200 performed better than the D610!

This was not the expectation at all. The hope was that the D5200 would perform comparably to the D610, but the images ended up being significantly better.

Is this possible? I have run through my method for determining image quality over and over looking for a mistake I may have made in the calculations, but I can't see that I've gone wrong anywhere.

The lens that was used for the 5200 was a 30mm f/1.4 and for the D610, a 50mm f/1.4. Both cameras were shot at a distance of 72 cm away from the 14" by 17" panel.

Any thoughts?

Horoscope Fish

I am interested in taking a photo of a 14" by 17" panel. The fine details of the panel are crutial for the purpose of my experiment, and so far I have tested at 5200 against a 610. After evaluating my images, the results showed that the D5200 performed better than the D610!

This was not the expectation at all. The hope was that the D5200 would perform comparably to the D610, but the images ended up being significantly better.

Is this possible? I have run through my method for determining image quality over and over looking for a mistake I may have made in the calculations, but I can't see that I've gone wrong anywhere.

The lens that was used for the 5200 was a 30mm f/1.4 and for the D610, a 50mm f/1.4. Both cameras were shot at a distance of 72 cm away from the 14" by 17" panel.

Any thoughts?
Well, without seeing the specifics your testing parameters (you don't even spec out the lenses used) and how you're judging one output to be better than the other, it's really hard to come to any kind of conclusion.

Deezey

Uh.....I am thinking your research may be slightly flawed. 2 different lenses....2 different focal lengths, what conditions were the shots taken in? You seem to have a ton of variables in your research.....

Also do you have the photographic evidence? How did you process the image? raw? JPEG? If you did JPEG...that would be another huge list of variables. Raw opens up another can of worms. I don't mean to go poking holes in your research....but really all you have is a statement. Which is basically just a claim.

Just my thoughts on the matter......

Dave_W

The Dude
Define "significantly better"? Do you mean more detail or a more vivid color profile or ? Were both cameras shooting in RAW format or JPG? If they were shooting in JPG, any chance the JPG rendering modes were different on the individual cameras? And if shot in RAW, were the two images worked up exactly the same?

There's a lot of variables that can account for your observation. Best to eliminate the easy ones before moving on to the more difficult possibilities.

Rick M

Greater pixel density is going to display greater resolution viewed at smaller sizes. You may see a difference at 100-200%. But without the same variables, no conclusion can be drawn. As Don said, go with what works.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

If you can't figure out what you did wrong by looking at the images and exif data, it will be even tougher for us to determine what you did wrong without sharing us the images that you took. It would help out if you upload both images.

Any thoughts?

This means that you will not get the same field of view if both cameras were positioned at 72 cm away. WHAT was the aperture that you used? DoF can play a bigger difference if you are trying to achieve a sharp image. Was your test done using a tripod?

As much as people would like to help you, you are not helping us by NOT providing us more details which makes it very frustrating.:confused: