Light painting

Scott Murray

Over the coming weeks I am hoping to be able to do some light painting, as to date I have done very minimal. I am wondering who light paints landscapes and what torch would they recommend? I am tossing up between the good old Halogen as its a nice light to bring out the colours in the rocks or maybe a LED light? Also and photos and ideas that others have come up with would be handy. I have a few spots that I want to got to once the roads open.

PapaST

I think it was Jake that did a great write up on his light painting endeavors. I think he also linked to a photographer that sells a particular home-made "torch" (I'm guessing that's flashlight in Aussie). I remember the photographer's rendition of an old tray with smoking pipe was remarkable.

Scott Murray

I think it was Jake that did a great write up on his light painting endeavors. I think he also linked to a photographer that sells a particular home-made "torch" (I'm guessing that's flashlight in Aussie). I remember the photographer's rendition of an old tray with smoking pipe was remarkable.
I did a quick search but could not find anything, I just bought a 10 million candle power Halogen torch for $50 on ebay so that should be good enough :)

pedroj

Here's one I did with my old D50 in 2006....Torch used was a Dolphin...

Copy of light_painting_039.jpg

BackdoorArts

The key to Ross' approach is the compositing of many individual shots, each exposed for a particular area of the whole. Makes for a little more work, but also plenty of room to play with layer masks and light adjustments to get the overall feel. It's finally getting warm and starting to get green here, so I'm scoping out places to try this out sometime soon ... before the mosquitoes emerge in abundance.

Scott Murray

The key to Ross' approach is the compositing of many individual shots, each exposed for a particular area of the whole. Makes for a little more work, but also plenty of room to play with layer masks and light adjustments to get the overall feel. It's finally getting warm and starting to get green here, so I'm scoping out places to try this out sometime soon ... before the mosquitoes emerge in abundance.
Here are a couple of places that are only 1 1/2hrs drive from home and I am thinking will be good. There are lots of great rock outcrops on the drive aswell. Will be doing some tests next week, but it will be close to a full moon so will need to take that into account.

The Lost City - Litchfield National Park - Northern Territory