Upgrading camera help?

CRIS510

I am freelance photographer at the moment, I have a Nikon d3000. I have had this camera for about a year or so. at 1st was overwhelming, but now that I have took multiple photography classes. I need more from my camera, which the d300 sadly does not. My question is which mid-level range dslr's are good and worth the money?

PavementPilot

Can you explain why your D3000 is not up to what you want to accomplish? This way the others that have higher end cameras will be able to help you answer this question.

Ruidoso Bill

Used: D300 or D300s, the s has video capability, I added a D300 several months ago to my D200, great high ISO and it's a semi pro body. D300 low actuations about $900, D300s $1100. At about $1200 the new D7000 has some good reviews, higher mp's and High ISO performance.

My 2 cents.

CRIS510

Well there a few things I would like to have that my d3000 does not have. 1080p Hd-video recorder, higher iso, bracketing settings, and 39 auto focus points.

PavementPilot

Well aside from the 39 focus points, the D3100 meets two of your requirements. I dont use the 1080p video, as I am not after Blue Ray quality. The CMOS sensor on the D3100, the ISO is amazing. As for bracketing, if you are quick with the wheel, you can manually bracket your shot. The price of the D3100 might make it worthwhile.

The other thing to keep in mind is the weight of the larger cameras. They are beasts to hold, if you used to holding a lighweight camera.

Curt

I would suggest the D300s, I think it would suit all your needs and more.
It would also give you lots of room for growth, as it is the flagship model in the DX.
Look for a good used one, or if you have the money, buy new?

johnwartjr

The only way you are going to get the 1080p is to go with a D7000.

It has great high ISO performance, 39 focus points, and bracketing.

It's the only DX body with the specs you are requesting.

The body is $1200. A good bargain. Nikon has some deals going on through February 26th if you buy certain lens and body combos - my Dad wanted a D7000 and I wanted a 14-24 zoom, and the combo got a $400 instant rebate. Nice savings!

Ruidoso Bill

D300s if you want video, 51 points AF. These cameras do weigh more than what you're used too, I went the other direction, as soon as I picked up a D200, (D300 similar) I thought they feel very well built. I also use battery grips on both mine, feel great.

fotojack

Myself and Curt have a D200, which is actually a pro level camera (according to Nikon and a lot of pro photographers I know). If I had the money, the one I would go for is the D300, as I have no use for video. But if you insist on having video, why not go for the D7000? It's the latest one out there, and according all the reviews it's quite the camera. I prefer the heavier cameras myself because of the feel and the stability they provide me, but that's a personal choice.

Curt

Well, I would have recommended the D300, but you had said you wanted the video feature as well. So I would say the D300s. There are some great features on the D300s that the D300 does not have (example) two card slot, just to mention one,
Plus the video function might come in handy, you might be out in the forest shooting and Bigfoot walks by….lol. You would want to capture that on video J.

Curt

In the past I would have suggested the D7000, but I have been hearing there seems to be a AF problem, and some say a recall is coming?? The price is a bit better on the D7000 and it is the latest model out, but I can’t help thinking the D300s is maybe a better camera in the long run.

eric321

I would recommend you Nikon D300s I don't think a better camera than this one. Or if you want something in mid-range than can consider Nikon D90 which is a good one in its class.

Curt

I just got a D7000 about a month ago and I highly recommend it, mine has no problems and works fantastic.
I think it has many great features over both the D300s & the D90. I would check into the D7000, well worth it:).