D600 shutter cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, etc...

Moab Man

Because of this important shoot I have this weekend I took my camera in to have its sensor cleaned. I plan to send it in for the shutter recall after I return, but back to my story. So he cleans the sensor. I go outside and shoot a test shot. More pepper on the sensor. They clean it again, I shoot a test shot, more pepper. We did this eight times cleaning, blowing, cleaning, blowing, shooting, cleaning, blowing... you get the idea. With each cleaning and a test shot we would get new peppers. They peppers even moved around or were simply replaced with new ones each time the shutter was actuated.

My conclusion, I know there was mention of some piece of tape might be flaking - no way. I have seen similar things in mechanical devices and I am of the opinion this is a self destructing shutter. We weren't pulling oil off the sensor, which I know has been an issue for some. But at least in my case, these flakes truly appear to be the shutter flaking.

In the end we got to a point where we just called it good. No matter the amount of cleaning was going to "clean" the sensor as the pepper came, went, and rearranged itself. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to just blow off with a puffer, but has a mind of its own.

So there you have it, that is what I believe is going on after my day at the camera shop and their assistance.

Moab Man

I'm not in the least bit upset. I knew this was a gamble when I bought the camera and anticipated rightly what Nikon is doing. So I have no complaints because I went in knowing what I was buying into. I just thought I would share my experience today.

Moab Man

Agreed, I still love the camera. I have no anger towards it and I have two other cameras to shoot with when I send the D600 off for a heart transplant.

SkvLTD

Just for me personally it was hard to be without a new main tool for 2 weeks. Especially after longing for it for about half a year or so.

BackdoorArts

From what I recall it's the coating on the shutter leaves that seem to be flaking. Your experience echoes my own - when you have the problem, it appears almost immediately. Hopefully you can avoid small apertures. If you haven't used it, the LR 5 Spot Removal tool is particularly good at finding dust spots if you have them, even if you only want to see where they are for correction in Photoshop. Just check the Visualize Spots box next to the slider at the bottom when you select the tool and slide the sucker to the right.

Then, when you're done, send it off to get it repaired.

Scott Murray

From what I recall it's the coating on the shutter leaves that seem to be flaking. Your experience echoes my own - when you have the problem, it appears almost immediately. Hopefully you can avoid small apertures. If you haven't used it, the LR 5 Spot Removal tool is particularly good at finding dust spots if you have them, even if you only want to see where they are for correction in Photoshop. Just check the Visualize Spots box next to the slider at the bottom when you select the tool and slide the sucker to the right.

Then, when you're done, send it off to get it repaired.
To add to this I also increase the clarity slider to 100% as this shows up more spots ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Sounds exactly like my first shutter. Sorry to hear about it, but the new replacement shutter is MUCH better. :)

Keoki

Sounds like my 1st, 2nd and 3rd shutter. Now it's back for the 4th time. I'm hoping to get a new camera in replacement. Good luck!

mikew_RIP

Just read on another forum after statements that the D610 shutter would not fit in the D600, one member has been told by Nikon UK they are fitting 610 shutters as replacements,unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.