Best Ultra wide angle lens dx

foo

I do a lot of landscapes when back home , and I am interested in a ultra wide angle lens .SIGMA ,TOKINA OR NIKON ,which one is best for my D5200 , budget of @ £500. I have looked at the sigma 10 -20m the Tokina 11-16mm
and the Nikon 18-35mm which s the best option , there is another by tamron but I'm not sure about it.
Any help would be brill .Thanks.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The best one is the Tokina 11-16. With your budget, the one that would fit is the Sigma 10-20 which is not as luminous (3.5-5.6) as the Tokina (2.8), but, smaller and lighter as well as less expensive. Since it is for landscape, I would say that at f8 you'd probably get very very similar results from both of these.

Horoscope Fish

I agree with Marcel; the Tokina 11-16mm would be your best option.

Since you have a '5200 you'll most likely want the version with the built-in AF motor, the DX II, but that's up to you of course.

foo

Been looking at the tokina sounds good , the nikon dx 10 24 is a good one as well but it nigh on £700 and being 2.8 be better in low light too .

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

§am

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 I've heard is a very good lens, and you can pick one up for £530 from Amazon (UK)
The Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 is ever so slightly wider but will set you back £629 from Misfuds

Of the two, during many a time when I've thought I wanted/needed a wide angle like that, the Tokina always came out top

kluisi

I do a lot of landscapes when back home , and I am interested in a ultra wide angle lens .SIGMA ,TOKINA OR NIKON ,which one is best for my D5200 , budget of @ £500. I have looked at the sigma 10 -20m the Tokina 11-16mm
and the Nikon 18-35mm which s the best option , there is another by tamron but I'm not sure about it.
Any help would be brill .Thanks.

The Nikon 18-35 would not be considered ultra-wide on your camera and will not be any wider than what you probably have for your kit lens (I'm guessing 18-55, 18-105, or 18-140), so it's out. Tamron also makes a 10-24mm lens for around $500. Not sure about the performance of any of the lenses though, so you'll have to get the information from other posters or look up reviews on other sites.

adox66

The Tokina is supposed to be excellent but I went for the Sigma 10- 20mm F4-5.6 and love it.

Use see it mostly for landscapes so would never have the need for it to be faster.

Wk 6 - Downhill Beach by adox66, on Flickr

Salterstown Rocks by adox66, on Flickr

Obviously the images above have been processed but both were shot wide open, so hopefully give you an idea of the scale of 10mm on DX.

foo

Yes adox66 they look very good , the sigma is quitec a good price at the moment and was one I had shortlisted.
I do a lot of beach , cliffs etc landscapes .
So basically which is better the Tokina or Sigma.
Difficult decision. :confused:

WhiteLight

Another advantage of the Tokina is that if you ever go FX, the Tokina is still usable at 16mm.
both the Siggy & the Tokina are exceptional lenses

foo

Yep still sounds good to me , Tokina at £475 at Amazon dearer than the siggy but probably worth it .

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Make sure you also take into account the filter size. They can add up pretty fast. I'm not sure, but suspect the Tokina must use larger filters than the Sigma... Learn all the facts.

But for beach shots, I think that once you're closed to F-8, there won't be noticeable difference between these twos. So go for the price and get a polarizer and ND filter, they'll be more useful than a faster heavier lens. In my Humble Opinion.

foo

Yeah the tokina has just risen in price on Amazon yet the Sigma has stayed static .
So like you say , way both up first ,could be nearer £200 difference .
Big difference. £200. Tho.

foo

Is there a all in on wide angle lens and super zoom telephoto say like 18 -300 mm or is it best having one wide angle and one super zoom lens.

Horoscope Fish

Is there a all in on wide angle lens and super zoom telephoto say like 18 -300 mm or is it best having one wide angle and one super zoom lens.
There are such lenses, yes. Nikon makes the 18-200mm and the 18-300mm for instance, but they tend to be slower and the image quality will be something you'll want to consider. There's no free lunch when it comes to lenses so there is always going to be some kind of trade off.

Typically it's something like this:

• Really good IQ
  • Fast Aperture
  • Reasonably Priced
Pick two.

foo

Yeah I thought that would be the case , also be just as much to buy 2 individual lenses as just the one that does the whole shooting match.
Plus Sigma10 -2o or 17-70 mm and the nikon 70 -300 mm as well for around the same price as the 18 -300mm .
No such thing as a quick fix then .

Horoscope Fish

Yeah I thought that would be the case , also be just as much to buy 2 individual lenses as just the one that does the whole shooting match. Plus Sigma 10-20 or 17-70 mm and the Nikon 70-300 mm as well for around the same price as the 18-300mm .
No such thing as a quick fix then.
Nope... No quick fixes I'm afraid.

You said in your opening post you wanted a good wide angle lens. If that's the case I'd still say get either the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 since they're both excellent lenses. If you want a good, powerful zoom lens later, so be it but I think these things are best handled one at a time. Focus on a good wide angle you'll be happy with now, think about a big zoom in the future.

foo

Thing is I will be buying both at the same time , and just wondered if it makes more financial sense to buy one that does both jobs , but yes a good wide angle lens is what I require, but I would also like to upgrade my sigma DL 70 -300mm as well . But the 18mm end on the 18 - 300 is not going to be wide angle , plus the kit lens already covers that focal length.
About 6 weeks I will have the cash to buy both lenses . So I'm making my choices now .
Because the tokina has risen so much , it will be the Sigma 10 - 20mm and the nikon 70 -300 vr .
These 2 should see me right with my 50 mm 1.8 and still got the kit lens hopefully thats all the lenses I will need .
But you never know .