D600 OCF inquiry

oldhippy

Difficult to remove SB 600 flash. I messed up trying to secure it to an off camera fixture. Trying to decide
on replacement with limited budget. Will I diminish my kit, with a cheap flash. Some are 90.00 .

Last edited:

carguy

I'm not really sure I understand the question.

It is mounted to an off camera holder and stuck there? Can you post a pic?

JohnFrench

I think he messed up the mount of the flash when he mounted it on something other than his camera, now it is difficult to remove from his camera.
I would look for what is interfering on the flash, and gently try remove the area causing the binding.

Last edited:

oldhippy

I'm not really sure I understand the question.

It is mounted to an off camera holder and stuck there? Can you post a pic?
SB 600 flash when mounted to my D600 camera is really difficult to remove.
Flash works fine, feels like the release isn't working. I am considering a lesser
unit for camera mount, using the SB 600 for off camera only.
My question is, will I diminish the kit I have. FF plus good lenses, cheaper flash. Thanks for any feedback. Ed
p.S. Budget is limited somewhat.

carguy

I think he messed up the mount of the flash when he mounted it on something other than his camera, now it is difficult to remove from his camera.
I would look for what is interfering on the flash, and gently tried to try remove the area causing the binding.

Possibly...

SB 600 flash when mounted to my D600 camera is really difficult to remove.
Flash works fine, feels like the release isn't working. I am considering a lesser
unit for camera mount, using the SB 600 for off camera only.
My question is, will I diminish the kit I have. FF plus good lenses, cheaper flash. Thanks for any feedback. Ed
p.S. Budget is limited somewhat.

So the SB-600 is difficult to remove from the camera hotshoe. Do you see any issues with the flash mount when you remove it from the camera?
Is the SB-600 difficult to mount to other OCF holders?

Did you unlock the flash head before removing it previously?

Going with a lesser flash unit should not dimish your kit if that is what you are referring to.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd take a close look at the plastic part of the flash shoe. It might just be kinked and maybe just a little sandpaper file could remove the blurs that make it hard to remove. Just maybe hopefully. If it's only a mechanical problem, I'm almost sure you could find a non expensive fix.

SkvLTD

+1 to 565EX. Has slave mode, has ttl, zoom, strobe, low-light red laser grid to help focus. What else do you even need?

WayneF

For a Nikon DSLR, you need iTTL, which is the flash model for Nikon. The SB-600 is iTTL.

Canon uses eTTL, which is incompatible with Nikons. Third party flashes come in either version.

SkvLTD

i, e, f, g, h doesn't matter, lol, it's the TTL part that does. And naturally you'd get a Nikon model which will have the Nikon equivalent of it.

oldhippy

For a Nikon DSLR, you need iTTL, which is the flash model for Nikon. The SB-600 is iTTL.

Canon uses eTTL, which is incompatible with Nikons. Third party flashes come in either version.

Hi Wayne.. understand that they make ettl for Nikon.. and its 50.00morethn ittl.. just wondered if the more expensive version was necessary.

WayneF

i, e, f, g, h doesn't matter, lol, it's the TTL part that does. And naturally you'd get a Nikon model which will have the Nikon equivalent of it.

? Yes, the version for Nikon will have it, but that does make the i in iTTL EXTREMELY important for Nikon. :)

WayneF

Hi Wayne.. understand that they make ettl for Nikon.. and its 50.00morethn ittl.. just wondered if the more expensive version was necessary.

I do not know about that, but I am extremely skeptical it can be correct. I would like to see a link about what we are discussing?

Nikon is iTTL, Canon is eTTL.

Both Yongnuo versions are about the same price (both around $115 on Ebay, with free shipping from Hong Kong, takes a couple of weeks), but the various US dealers importing a good thing for resale mark the price up in different amounts. Around Jan 1, I bought one for Nikon with Amazon Prime shipping for $107, but the price is varying a lot more now. Sometimes varying every day.

The Yongnuo YN565 has both Nikon and Canon versions (the hot shoe pins are different, and the iTTL / eTTL hot shoe protocol is different)... you need the right version flash.

But it turns out that the SL slave mode to work with the wireless commanders has a menu to work with either Nikon or Canon, or even both at same time. So in this one Yongnuo case, remote SL slave mode can be compatible, but hot shoe use is NOT compatible. Buy the correct model.

Last edited:

WayneF

I see now.

Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon

by Neewer

Yes, it does say ETTL for Nikon. It also says "by Neewer" (a different brand). Both are simply incorrect. Whoever prepared that Amazon page screwed up big time.

Nikon is iTTL (only). Canon is eTTL (only). Just how it is, facts of life.

I ordered from that page, and received iTTL for Nikon. Notice down the page a bit, it says:

Product Description

i-TTL for Nikon DSLR cameras TTL mode: The metering system of the camera will
(1) Note: YN-565 for Nikon can only be used with Nikon i-TTL cameras (not compatible with D100 D50 D2Hs D2X D70 D2H)

Those specific mentioned early Nikon models used early digital D-TTL, which is different, and all later versions use iTTL now. Frankly, D50 and D70 are errors too, both iTTL, D70 was first iTTL.

Last edited:

SkvLTD

By the way, on hot shoe and TTL point, if my memory serves me correctly, my 565EX worked on my friend's K10D TTL included.

hrphotography

if you dont mind an extension then get a $10 Nikon iTTL to PC connection adapter. keep that adapter always connected to your Nikon flash. use the shoe of the adapter to mount on camera each time. something like in the photo below. If i have an original Nikon flash, i would prefer to use that with this adapter rather than buying a third party flash.
adapter.jpg

oldhippy

if you dont mind an extension then get a $10 Nikon iTTL to PC connection adapter. keep that adapter always connected to your Nikon flash. use the shoe of the adapter to mount on camera each time. something like in the photo below. If i have an original Nikon flash, i would prefer to use that with this adapter rather than buying a third party flash.
View attachment 80907

Bought it and mounted to my flash, problem solved. Cant thank you all enough.