Hyperfocal Distance

MeSess

For landscape shots I know focusing using the hyperfocal distance for a given lens is important for getting sharpness but I have no idea how to calculate the hyperfocal distance. I have the 18-55 and 55-200 so does anybody have a chart or anything for these lens that would help?

wornish

Hyperfocal distance is not fixed for a zoom lens. It is calculated based on the focal distance used , the aperture and the size of your cameras sensor

Here is a useful web based chart you can use. There is also an iPhone app you can use.

Depth of Field Table

BackdoorArts

There's an app for that too. I don't have my iPhone in front of me, but I got a free one that works great - just search the iTunes store (there's a pay one that gives you more options on the narrow end, which I don't care about so much since I don't own lenses wider than f/1.8). Just make sure you set it for Nikon DX crop.

(two hours later)...

The one I use is called TrueDoF-Intro. There's a non-intro version that goes wider that f/1.4 and smaller than f/22, but again, I have no real use for those.

Last edited:

MeSess

Thanks guys that should be a lot of help!! I didn't even think to look for an Iphone app but I guess they make everything these days haha