rangefinder explained please

foo

Hi all, well I'm a bit confused over the rangefinder graphics in the viewfinder display, can someone please explain when is it exactly when using a manual lens that I have the focus spot on .
The green dot goes solid wen you have the subject focused, it's the bar graphs that confuse .
When I move back and forth the bar graph moves and I guess is for which way you turn the focus ring .get that as well , but when is it that I have a achieved perfect focus , the bar graph shows 2 little lines below a zero , and sometimes @ 4 - 5 lines with arrow an pointer below the zero and these can fill both directions . So this is what is confusing me , when exactly is the focus spot on , 2 little lines or 5 and the arrow . Help would be great. Thanks

Fred Kingston

The Green dot means the focus spot selected has achieved focus.

The bar graph you're referring to is the light meter, and shows whether the image is over or under exposed... turning the front/back dials will adjust the appropriate exposure/aperture setting, and the meter should respond accordingly...when the pointer is centered, the exposure/aperture settings are correctly set for a proper exposure...

foo

Ahh thats what its for , thank you . Tried looking for the manual , but thats some where about. Cheers

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Blacktop

The Green dot means the focus spot selected has achieved focus.

The bar graph you're referring to is the light meter, and shows whether the image is over or under exposed... turning the front/back dials will adjust the appropriate exposure/aperture setting, and the meter should respond accordingly...when the pointer is centered, the exposure/aperture settings are correctly set for a proper exposure...

Yes and no. If you set you lens to Manual the bar meter becomes a focus meter. Turning your focus ring will adjust the meter to the left or right. When you hit in the middle you're in focus. (the green dot also stays lit)
However!! this only works in Aperture priority, or Shutter priority. When you are in full Manual mode the bar returns to being the metering bar.
At least this is the way on my 3100.

Last edited:

foo

Mostly use mine in Aperture mode for 50mm and the 70 -300mm sigma , have a 28mm that is fully manual so needs the use of a hand held meter .I just was not sure when sometimes the bar graph would fill both ways at once to the full .

Fred Kingston

Yes and no. If you set you lens to Manual the bar meter becomes a focus meter. Turning your focus ring will adjust the meter to the left or right. When you hit in the middle you're in focus. (the green dot also stays lit)
However!! this only works in Aperture priority, or Shutter priority. When you are in full Manual mode the bar returns to being the metering bar.
At least this is the way on my 3100.

I think that only works that way in the D3100... I looked at the D5100 docs, and it doesn't mention that, and I tested it on my D600 and it certainly doesn't do that...