My Business plan lol

Scott Murray

Well its official I got the Business name.

Now for the plan, yeah I work backwards lol.

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.35.06 pm.png

And this is what I am thinking.

Territory Photography Adventures.

I am a self taught photographer who started off in film, and thinking back I used to take photos the same with film as I do with digital except I had to keep the bad film photos.

The aim of my tour is to get you out and about with nature. Close and personal so a medium level of fitness is a must. I will teach you the basics of camera use, from point and shoot to DSLR’s. I will also take you to my spots that I know. The lighting is the key to any photograph and being somewhere at the right time is a must. But if you are hungry do not worry as we will carry snacks along the way, and when we return to camp we will have a meal waiting for us.

My main focus in photography is,

Nature - so all animals big and small, but like all wild animals they are not always there when you expect them and there could be some early mornings or late nights.

Landscapes - The Territory has some great landscapes and I aim to capture as much as I can, given the short time frame we will focus on certain areas.

Storms - Well if you are ‘Lucky’ enough to be here in the buildup you will experience the Territory at its worst, hot and humid this is the best time for extreme storms and lightning that will take your breath away.

Editing - Even though a lot of people frown on Photoshop, I look at photoshop as the digital darkroom and it is a necessity especially if you shoot RAW (We will talk about that later). Editing is one of the tools that makes an ok photo a great photo when you have included great lighting and exposure and composition.

The accommodation will be Territory style and you will tent it all the way, Tents will be 2 persons per tent unless specified.

SkvLTD

Toss the very beginning paragraph in the intro, you want to appear as credible as possible and self-taught might be read in bad light, so to speak, by some. If anything, say how many years you have under the belt of shooting film and digital.

Scott Murray

Toss the very beginning paragraph in the intro, you want to appear as credible as possible and self-taught might be read in bad light, so to speak, by some. If anything, say how many years you have under the belt of shooting film and digital.
Why? I do not want to lie and it can show to others that being self taught can get you places, also it means that I will not be catering to the people that know more than me lol. I will not be charging an arm and leg for this so I am expecting backpackers etc to be interested.

Pretzel

Why? I do not want to lie and it can show to others that being self taught can get you places, also it means that I will not be catering to the people that know more than me lol. I will not be charging an arm and leg for this so I am expecting backpackers etc to be interested.

Agreed... Plus, throwing in samples of your work, most won't worry about how you were taught.

Dave_W

The Dude
I think this is a great idea, Scott. In fact, the only thing that would make it any better would to offer a test run with several members of the board (me, for instance). This would allow you to get a feel for the business but with non-paying clients (me, for instance) thus allowing you to iron out the wrinkles so that when you go live you'll be far more prepared. I'm sure one or two of us here (me, for instance) would take time out of our busy schedule to help you develop your business. And I'm sure those of us who do volunteer (me, for instance) would only ask you to pay half the cost of travel to and from Australia. It just doesn't get any better than this, does it? :D

Scott Murray

I think this is a great idea, Scott. In fact, the only thing that would make it any better would to offer a test run with several members of the board (me, for instance). This would allow you to get a feel for the business but with non-paying clients (me, for instance) thus allowing you to iron out the wrinkles so that when you go live you'll be far more prepared. I'm sure one or two of us here (me, for instance) would take time out of our busy schedule to help you develop your business. And I'm sure those of us who do volunteer (me, for instance) would only ask you to pay half the cost of travel to and from Australia. It just doesn't get any better than this, does it? :D
Well I could put it down to a business expense lol

TedG954

....offer a test run with several members of the board

I guess the rest of us commoners will have to wait.

Good luck Scott. Without a dream, what's left? Keep us posted on your progress.

Scott Murray

....offer a test run with several members of the board

I guess the rest of us commoners will have to wait.

Good luck Scott. Without a dream, what's left? Keep us posted on your progress.

Ah but I am an equal opportunity business and will offer everyone the chance to win ;)

Pretzel

I'm assuming he meant the Nikonites board/forum, and since he mentioned several, I will steal his style of subliminal suggestion and point out that there are many (me, for instance) who would be willing to help you out with the idea. LOL

Lawrence

Paying my full fare from Auckland is even cheaper than half a fare from USA …
Seriously though Scott this is a really great idea and I am 10000% sure it will take off and you will do extremely well with it. I am not going to wish you luck - you don't need it.
I do think your intro is a bit bland and clinical. Not saying something is not telling a lie so leaving things out is just as honest as including them.
I would suggest appealing to people's emotions might get the interest.
I am one that would seriously consider going on your tour. Just wondering how you would pitch it to someone who doesn't have a lot of flash gear.
Man you are going to make a killing and more importantly love doing it.