Nikon F3, F4, or F5 ????

crycocyon

So I'm looking to get a Nikon film camera. Well, actually I would like to just collect the vintage pro film cameras but have to decide which one to get first out of the Nikon F3 HP, Nikon F4s, or Nikon F5. I'm leaning toward the F4s for now because it has the best deals on Ebay (I'd like as mint as possible, and F3s and F5s mint go for a relatively pretty penny), while is also a very capable camera for its day (plus it can even use the G lenses). Any thoughts? I actually plan to try using the camera once in a while just for fun/nostalgia to shoot film, as I recently discovered a couple of roles of undeveloped film that I still need to get developed from I have no idea how many years ago, and that got me to thinking. I'd like to go out sometime with a digital and film Nikon together and do some comparison shooting as well. Also, I do have years of amateur and semi-pro experience with film SLRs, namely with a Minolta X-700 with a large collection of equipment, but never had the pleasure of shooting a Nikon film camera. So I have no problem using older film cameras, and was just curious what the preference was among the knowledgeable members here with these cameras. I've read a lot about the cameras already but always interested in more opinions.

rocketman122

Im completely biased towards the F5. I used those for weddings and its the one that had the first design that all other cameras followed. The new rounded body. The F3 is a square design. Very old school. Not my thing. F4 is just huge. Like a huge hummer. I like all the big dials on top. Impressively massive. But, im a huge F5 fan. The F6 is not its replacement. It was half*** job by nikon.

LensWork

Any collection of "vintage" Nikon pro film cameras has to include an F2. From a shooting aspect, the F5 is probably the best bet. The F3 holds the record as the longest continually running catalogued camera in Nikon's history; beginning with the 1980 introduction of the original F3 and continuing through 2003 in various versions. Certainly no collection would be complete without an F3HP. The F4, as with many "firsts", in this case Nikon's first pro AF SLR, leaves much to be desired and would be my last choice.

rikman

Just got an F6 to start of my vintage collection. What a beauty. Just loaded up a roll of Kodak Tri X but raining of course

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

rikman

2uzy8u7y.jpg
2yvu2u7a.jpg
5ymeqeha.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

crycocyon

So if you look at an F6, is it basically an F5 but without the motor grip on the base? Seems strikingly like one except with a non-interchangeable finder.

STM

I guess it depends on what you are used to. I would not want an F5 or F6 because I am too used to using shutter speed dials and the rest. I am not a menu kind of guy. I have an F4S and love it, though it took a lot of getting used to not having a film wind lever.

Bill16

Lol I was thinking of doing the same thing when I can! Lol :D

So I'm looking to get a Nikon film camera. Well, actually I would like to just collect the vintage pro film cameras but have to decide which one to get first out of the Nikon F3 HP, Nikon F4s, or Nikon F5. I'm leaning toward the F4s for now because it has the best deals on Ebay (I'd like as mint as possible, and F3s and F5s mint go for a relatively pretty penny), while is also a very capable camera for its day (plus it can even use the G lenses). Any thoughts? I actually plan to try using the camera once in a while just for fun/nostalgia to shoot film, as I recently discovered a couple of roles of undeveloped film that I still need to get developed from I have no idea how many years ago, and that got me to thinking. I'd like to go out sometime with a digital and film Nikon together and do some comparison shooting as well. Also, I do have years of amateur and semi-pro experience with film SLRs, namely with a Minolta X-700 with a large collection of equipment, but never had the pleasure of shooting a Nikon film camera. So I have no problem using older film cameras, and was just curious what the preference was among the knowledgeable members here with these cameras. I've read a lot about the cameras already but always interested in more opinions.

harleridr

Hi
I really like my F5 especially the ease in changing finders( I have action and waist level) also the focusing screens, I stay with the grid. My only problem in getting batteries. It is a little heavy but with a long lens it balances out I always shoot A priority so so I don't worry about shutter speed. for a charger, I would reccomend theMH-19 It will charge more than one type of battery as well as two F5 batteries at the same timeas well
Harle

STM

I really like the F4S. With the exception of a film winding lever, it is still laid out like a conventional film camera and it is arguably the most attractive camera Nikon ever made. I really don't like menu's or having to rotate a thumbwheel to do everything. I would like to find an MB-23 battery pack (which makes it an F4E) but the F4E was never marketed in the US so they are very difficult to find.

I guess with autofocus, there is not as much of a need for different finders or focusing screens, but since I do not own any AF lenses, I still do love the flexibility.

STM

Any collection of "vintage" Nikon pro film cameras has to include an F2. From a shooting aspect, the F5 is probably the best bet. The F3 holds the record as the longest continually running catalogued camera in Nikon's history; beginning with the 1980 introduction of the original F3 and continuing through 2003 in various versions. Certainly no collection would be complete without an F3HP. The F4, as with many "firsts", in this case Nikon's first pro AF SLR, leaves much to be desired and would be my last choice.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is (are) the things you think it leaves a lot to be desired? I guess if you like menus it might come up short, but personally I hate menus, I can adjust anything I need to adjust on the F4 without ever having to take my eye out of the viewfinder.

Rob Bye

Out of curiosity, what exactly is (are) the things you think it leaves a lot to be desired?

I recall many long time Nikon users were horrified when the F4 was first introduced. It marked a radical departure in Nikon's professional camera body design. I was a Canon shooter at the time, and well familiar with cameras like the T90 and the EOS-1. I actually thought Nikon did an extremely nice job on that camera. I just wasn't impressed with their practice of putting the autofocus motor in the camera body...

STM

I recall many long time Nikon users were horrified when the F4 was first introduced. It marked a radical departure in Nikon's professional camera body design. I was a Canon shooter at the time, and well familiar with cameras like the T90 and the EOS-1. I actually thought Nikon did an extremely nice job on that camera. I just wasn't impressed with their practice of putting the autofocus motor in the camera body...

I personally think the F4 is still the most attractive SLR/DSLR that Nikon has made to date and I am a diehard F2 owner. It is just me but I think the F4E is better looking than the F4S though it is heavier, maybe because I am so used to the F2/MD-2/MB-1. I have not, nor will I most likely ever own any AF lenses so I really don't have a dog in that hunt, but the AF motor in the camera body was the best technology available in 1988 so I really don't see that as a negative personally. Maybe compared to today, but at this point that is almost apples and oranges 26 years on.

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Whatever shows up mint on Boston Craigslist = demo before you buy....

It would be F3HP for me. Had multiple F and F2 always drooled over the F3.....

Bill16

Well thanks to my beloved wife I'm starting with the F4s! Lol Very cool looking Nikon! I'll be collecting a few film Nikon's and I have plans to get a F2, F3, and possibly a F5! The F6 is too costly for me though.
DSLRs will always be my preferred medium, but I can't resist having a few awesome Nikon SLRs for film! :)

STM

Well thanks to my beloved wife I'm starting with the F4s! Lol Very cool looking Nikon! I'll be collecting a few film Nikon's and I have plans to get a F2, F3, and possibly a F5! The F6 is too costly for me though.
DSLRs will always be my preferred medium, but I can't resist having a few awesome Nikon SLRs for film! :)

You will not be disappointed. Here is my F4S. I have a line on a NIB MB-23 (F4E) battery bpack on Fleabay right now. I am SOOO going to snipe that one at the last minute! Right now, with less about a day to go it is going for $25

Bill16

Wow buddy your F4s is in awesome shape! Mine won't be that clean, but mine was only $119.00 so I guess I can't complain. :)

You will not be disappointed. Here is my F4S. I have a line on a NIB MB-23 (F4E) battery bpack on Fleabay right now. I am SOOO going to snipe that one at the last minute! Right now, with less about a day to go it is going for $25