Minimum times for dog sports

MikeD7000

Hello,

I am shooting agility (I am beginner) with my nikon D7000 and kit lens 18-105 and I wonder what are minimum times for this kind of sport? Is 1/1000s enough? I am considering to buy tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc or nikkor 70-200 f4 for agility (and also for walkaround lens, daily trips with my family). I like f4 because it is lighter than f2.8 but I don't know if f4 is enough for agility sports outside.

thank you,
Mike

Horoscope Fish

Hello,

I am shooting agility (I am beginner) with my nikon D7000 and kit lens 18-105 and I wonder what are minimum times for this kind of sport? Is 1/1000s enough? I am considering to buy tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc or nikkor 70-200 f4 for agility (and also for walkaround lens, daily trips with my family). I like f4 because it is lighter than f2.8 but I don't know if f4 is enough for agility sports outside.

I'm assuming you're asking if a shutter speed of 1/1000 is fast enough to clearly freeze the motion in your shot? If so, the answer is yes. You could probably get away with something much lower, say 1/250 or so, actually.

Also, don't feel like you need to freeze the action in every single shot; that gets boring after a while and will look like every other shot everyone else takes. Introduce a little motion blur to some of your shots; this effect can add a nice dynamic to a photo. It conveys a sense of motion and action that "frozen motion" shots do not.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I'm assuming you're asking if a shutter speed of 1/1000 is fast enough to clearly freeze the motion in your shot? If so, the answer is yes. You could probably get away with something much lower, say 1/250 or so, actually.

Also, don't feel like you need to freeze the action in every single shot; that gets boring after a while and will look like every other shot everyone else takes. Introduce a little motion blur to some of your shots; this effect can add a nice dynamic to a photo. It conveys a sense of motion and action that "frozen motion" shots do not.

Excellent info! I'll add to that the blur from panning (slow shutter speed while panning with the motion).