Just started shooting...

eummagic

Hello all,
Here are my first set of samples shot based on some learning from this forum and other tutorials available from net.
Your comments pls to help me improve the shots further...

Boat's View.jpgeKumarakom Backwater.jpgyHunting Fish.jpgoBird closeup - Kumarakom Backwater.jpgnOrchid Closeup.jpgdNot so far from my house_2.jpg.Alone.jpg.From my house.jpg.Moon Closeup.jpg
Not so far from my house.jpg

jengajoh

I've got nothing... they all look pretty awesome to me, especially the 4th one with the bird and the moon shot. What lens did you use for the moon?

fotojack

You just started shooting? Really? I see nothing wrong with any of your shots. You're definitely on the right track as far as composition go. Nice work.

Ruidoso Bill

Very nice shots, I see a good eye for composition! Thanks for sharing and I hope to see more of your work. #6 really grabbed my eye, absolutely love the way you framed it! Keep up the good work.

eummagic

I've got nothing... they all look pretty awesome to me, especially the 4th one with the bird and the moon shot. What lens did you use for the moon?
Thanks for your encouraging words, As for the bird & moon the actual credit goes to our member PavementPilot for his advise to choose RAW format & shoot and crop in Photoshop to give the closer look (He gave this priceless piece of advise when I was asking for compatible teleconverter for my 55-300mm lens). Now, after hearing your comment Iam happy with my 55-300mm lens...NB: Tripod used for shooting moon.

You just started shooting? Really? I see nothing wrong with any of your shots. You're definitely on the right track as far as composition go. Nice work.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words...I will definitely post more and will showcase the beauty of Kerala...

eummagic

Very nice shots, I see a good eye for composition! Thanks for sharing and I hope to see more of your work. #6 really grabbed my eye, absolutely love the way you framed it! Keep up the good work.
Thank you very much...I will post more and would like to learn more from your comments....

PavementPilot

I really like 4, 6 and 8. All of them are excellent. In #4 what was your distance to the subject? I see you shot at 300mm with max f/stop. It is perfect, and how much crop did you have to do?

PavementPilot

I looked at the EXIF on your moon shot. I copied it and am going to try it this next full moon. You data showed a Exposure Bias Value of -7/3, is that the same as -2 1/3?

eummagic

I really like 4, 6 and 8. All of them are excellent. In #4 what was your distance to the subject? I see you shot at 300mm with max f/stop. It is perfect, and how much crop did you have to do?
Sorry for the delay, problem with my net connection. Thanks for your comments...as for #4, you mean the bird closeup I was actually travelling in a hand rowed boat with subject around 8-10ft distance. Your readings are correct, shot in Aperture priority mode as I was moving slowly in the boat and the bird can any moment fly away scared. This I didn't crop and its the original zoom captured from lens @ 300mm.
I looked at the EXIF on your moon shot. I copied it and am going to try it this next full moon. You data showed a Exposure Bias Value of -7/3, is that the same as -2 1/3?
Yes, its Exposure reduced to -2.3 as I started seeing details from this exposure value, reducing further made the image darker.
These are some very nice shots, and to think you just started shooting, well done. I am looking forward to more of your pictures
Thank you very much...

Last edited:

eummagic

Hello all,

Yesterday visited Flower Show in our locality and want to share a few shots. Gear taken D3100 + 55-300mm lens, no tripod used. Your comments pls...sorry I didn't rename the files and are all default filenames...
_DSC0105.JPG_DSC0138.JPG _DSC0132.JPG_DSC0146.JPG_DSC0135.JPG_DSC0102.JPG._DSC0107.JPG._DSC0190.JPG._DSC0119.JPG
_DSC0136.JPG

Mike150

I'm also curious to the settings, but how do you look at the EXIF data for an Online photo? I can right click a photo on my hard drive and click properties, but that doesn't work for an online photo. To date, I've been unable to get a decent moon shot and the full moon is three days away.

PavementPilot

Looks good. There are a few shots where even with the shallow DOF you still loose the subject because the BG is the same color. Maybe if possible, change your angle for the composure.

eummagic

Hello all,

Taken a few snaps on my way to Ottappalam, Kerala, India..

Waiting for meal.jpgSunrise.jpgBharathapuzha.jpg
Bird Flight.jpgBird Flight...3 different snaps merged using Photoshop to create the taking off effect.

Joseph Bautsch

You have some really good shots there. The flowers have beautiful colors and the bird take off sequence is neat. That's creative thinking. One suggestion I have is to post these shots in the Photo Critique Forum one at a time (one a day). That way we will be able to provide you with more responses on the shooting techniques that you have asked for. We would also like to see these shots posted in your photo gallery where we can enjoy all of them at any time.