Advice needed - Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

SteveH

Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience of this lens? I'm tempted by this or the Nikkor 10-24mm to go on my D7100. I'm put off the Nikkor as it won't go FX when I eventually upgrade, but with the price of this Sigma, that's not such a problem.

Has anyone used or own one? How did you find it?

BackdoorArts

Look through my Flickr - lots of examples (go back about 14-16 months before I went FX). Great lens. One caution, it does not take filters, so if you want to put an ND on there, or something similar, you're out of luck. I opted for the extra width I got over the 11-16mm or the 10-20mm over using filters. As much as I love ND's now I might have changed my mind had I known. Might.

SteveH

Thanks Jake, I'll take a look at your Flickr as soon as I get home! I read a few reviews, and they all mention the lack of filters, but I generally only use UV's to protect the front element.
It sounds like you are pretty happy with yours, thanks for the positive info!

moony16

Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience of this lens? I'm tempted by this or the Nikkor 10-24mm to go on my D7100. I'm put off the Nikkor as it won't go FX when I eventually upgrade, but with the price of this Sigma, that's not such a problem.

For years, I shot the Sigma 10-20 on Pentax APS-c sensor--it was a nice lens, but the Sigma 8-16 was not available then. I've never shot with the 8-16, but have researched it & listened to many who do shoot with it--I've also seen lots of pics done with the lens. It is, without a doubt, Sigma's finest contribution to UWA to date, easily exceeding the 10-20 & 12-24. There is an excellent thread here SIGMA 8-16mm CLUB - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com
with lots of pics and discussion. Enjoy.

The lens uses the newer Sigma FLD elements for Ca control and the results are impressive. @ 12mm & up, distortions are not even significant. It's an incredible piece of glass. Nowadays, I shoot all my UWA on Fx, but if I were using Dx for UWA this lens would be my choice. The only down sides are no filters & the vignetting @ 8mm--but you have to expect that @ 8mm.
JT

Cowleystjames

Hi All,

I have a Sigma 8-16mm as new and boxed sat in my filing cabinet waiting for someone to use it again if you're interested in getting one.
I used it for a couple of months when I had a D7100, but have now gone full frame so it's totally out of the window.
If you find yourself in Oxford, you're welcome to try it, open to offers.

SteveH

For years, I shot the Sigma 10-20 on Pentax APS-c sensor--it was a nice lens, but the Sigma 8-16 was not available then. I've never shot with the 8-16, but have researched it & listened to many who do shoot with it--I've also seen lots of pics done with the lens. It is, without a doubt, Sigma's finest contribution to UWA to date, easily exceeding the 10-20 & 12-24. There is an excellent thread here SIGMA 8-16mm CLUB - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com

The lens uses the newer Sigma FLD elements for Ca control and the results are impressive. @ 12mm & up, distortions are not even significant. It's an incredible piece of glass. Nowadays, I shoot all my UWA on Fx, but if I were using Dx for UWA this lens would be my choice. The only down sides are no filters & the vignetting @ 8mm--but you have to expect that @ 8mm.
JT

Sounds good JT - Thanks for the recommendation! It does look like the route I will be taking, and the price seems pretty good too...

I have a Sigma 8-16mm as new and boxed sat in my filing cabinet waiting for someone to use it again if you're interested in getting one.
I used it for a couple of months when I had a D7100, but have now gone full frame so it's totally out of the window.
If you find yourself in Oxford, you're welcome to try it, open to offers.

That's a good offer thanks! I'm saving at the moment as just last month I got the D7100, 35mm & LR5... Once I've saved and in the region of the lens, I'll drop you a PM, cheers!

SteveH

JT

Wow I just looked through that Pentax thread you recommended.... Some fantastic shots there!