Real Estate/Interior Help

uberrad

Hello,

I recently got my D700 and have an opportunity to work at a visual marketing company. I will mainly be doing real estate photography/interior shots. I've been reading a lot about what lens to get but haven't quite figured it out.

First off, everyone at the company shoots a Canon 6D or 5D2 with a 17-40 f/4L on a tripod (which I have, Vanguard 263AB-100)
I know Nikon has the 16-35 f/4 and the 17-35 f/2.8 but also the 14-24 f/2.8.

Second, the development of the pictures will be done in Lightroom 5. They put a big emphasis on straight lines and lens correction.

Third, I really like landscapes so I would like to be able to use this lens outside of work as well.

What lens would you recommend?

Another thing is that on the 6D, it seems so easy to do interiors. The way they have it set up is perfect. They shoot Aperture Priority, f/8 with ISO at 640. The shutter is on a timer so using the screen like live view, they choose the focus point, press af-on, and press the shutter, timer set for 5 seconds then shutter actuates hands free and takes 5 bracketed shots using the Drive button on the 6D. Is this possible on the D700?

I'm sorry this is a lot, but any help/input would be great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kluisi

Hello,

I recently got my D700 and have an opportunity to work at a visual marketing company. I will mainly be doing real estate photography/interior shots. I've been reading a lot about what lens to get but haven't quite figured it out.

First off, everyone at the company shoots a Canon 6D or 5D2 with a 17-40 f/4L on a tripod (which I have, Vanguard 263AB-100)

Second, the development of the pictures will be done in Lightroom 5. They put a big emphasis on straight lines and lens correction.

Third, I really like landscapes so I would like to be able to use this lens outside of work as well.

Another thing is that on the 6D, it seems so easy to do interiors. The way they have it set up is perfect. They shoot Aperture Priority, f/8 with ISO at 640. The shutter is on a timer so using the screen like live view, they choose the focus point, press af-on, and press the shutter, timer set for 5 seconds then shutter actuates hands free and takes 5 bracketed shots using the Drive button on the 6D. Is this possible on the D700?

This may be a NEWB question, but why ISO 640 if you'd be shooting a stationary subject (a house interior) on a tripod? I'd think for the cleanest picture, you'd want to go as low as possible since you needn't be concerned with shutter speed.

Horoscope Fish

Hello,

Any of those three lenses you mention would be fine for what you want to do.

And yes, your D700 can do the same thing as the Canon setups you've seen. I'm assuming you know already how to use "A"perture Priority mode, set your aperture and ISO and from there you'd need to set the self-timer to delay the shot and have auto-bracketing set up for five exposures. Simple really. Your manual will explain how to do all of this if you're unclear on the steps.

uberrad

Welcome, uberrad.

Thanks!

This may be a NEWB question, but why ISO 640 if you'd be shooting a stationary subject (a house interior) on a tripod? I'd think for the cleanest picture, you'd want to go as low as possible since you needn't be concerned with shutter speed.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm new there so I don't want to question there practices just yet haha. Just looking for the best possible lens for this application.

uberrad

Any of those three lenses you mention would be fine for what you want to do.

And yes, your D700 can do the same thing as the Canon setups you've seen. I'm assuming you know already how to use "A"perture Priority mode, set your aperture and ISO and from there you'd need to set the self-timer to delay the shot and have auto-bracketing set up for five exposures. Simple really. Your manual will explain how to do all of this if you're unclear on the steps.

I figured the D700 could do the same. I got it used and didn't come with the manual.

How do other companies compare to the Nikon lenses? Tamarin, Tokina, Sigma etc. ?

Horoscope Fish

I figured the D700 could do the same. I got it used and didn't come with the manual.
Nikon D700 User Manual

How do other companies compare to the Nikon lenses? Tamarin, Tokina, Sigma etc.?
All of those companies make some excellent lenses. The Tokina AT-X 16-28mm Pro FX is an awesome choice but if you want to get down to the nitty gritty you'll have to do some research and see how these different lenses perform on the D700 specifically.

You can start by looking at the lens reviews on the DXO Mark lens database.

uberrad

Nikon D700 User Manual

All of those companies make some excellent lenses. The Tokina AT-X 16-28mm Pro FX is an awesome choice but if you want to get down to the nitty gritty you'll have to do some research and see how these different lenses perform on the D700 specifically.

You can start by looking at the lens reviews on the DXO Mark lens database.

Awesome, thank you so much for your help!

Ruidoso Bill

I use a nikon 14-24 f2.8 for my interior real estate shoots an it is great. It also is a great landscape lens. The more towards the 14 end the more correction required. I do my corrections in photo shot, but they are correct, amatuers easilt spotted by bad verticals.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

uberrad

I use a nikon 14-24 f2.8 for my interior real estate shoots an it is great. It also is a great landscape lens. The more towards the 14 end the more correction required. I do my corrections in photo shot, but they are correct, amatuers easilt spotted by bad verticals.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The 14-24 is a little too expensive for me.

STM

The 18mm f/3.5 AIS Nikkor is ideal for interior shots and it has the least distortion of any lens of that focal length. It works beautifully on my D700 and I have used on a lot of interior shots.

Last edited:

STM

I worked part time for CirclePix for a while but the money was crap and not worth the amount of time I had to put into it. But I did get a very good panorama bracket. It has a total of 16 click stops, a spirit level and mounts right on a tripod head. It is designed to work with a 28mm focal length lens (FX) and the camera in a portrait rather than landscape orientation and it works very well if you keep the camera level. I do not know the make but there are lots of good ones out there.

You can offer panoramic photos to clients. I don’t know about Lightroom but PS does a great job of stitching the images together. If you make sure the camera is perfectly level each shot, then you will not wind up with working images which have that “scalloped” edge that needs cropped out.

uberrad

I totally forgot about this thread, sorry!
I have a question, sometimes when I take some interior shots they look a bit too green or too red. Could it be just where I choose to focus on when using live view in tripod mode?

aroy

I totally forgot about this thread, sorry!
I have a question, sometimes when I take some interior shots they look a bit too green or too red. Could it be just where I choose to focus on when using live view in tripod mode?

Is the colour similar for one set shot with same light and lense? If yes then it is a "white Balance" issue. Next time take a white board along with you and shoot it at close distance, so that it fills (and over flows a bit) the frame, using same light/flash/strobes you would to take production shots.

In your PP software check the colour of the board, and if it has a tinge, it is white balance problem. You can then use the image of the board to correct your white balance, automatically if the software allows it, or visually by adjusting the colours till the board is white - check the pixel values they should be same for each colour componet : R,G,B = 255,255,255 (or 250,250,250) etc.

Lot of professionals, especially in fashion industry; where colour fidelity is of paramount importance; shoot a standard colour chart and let the software afdjust the colour of the shots automatically.
2Q==

Here are some interesting readings

White Balance: how to use a colour chart to get tones perfect | Digital Camera World
Understanding Colour Temperature & White Balance | Learning DSLR
How to create a custom color profile for your DSLR - Pinkbike