Pictures Locked! Please help!

vbauerkemper

Hi, I am new to this camera and board. Just got the camera about a week ago. Ive been shooting in raw, and tried to upload photos from the SD card to my computer. I didn't realize that the little box marked "erase after importing" was checked and now the pictures on the SD card are gone. When I open the folder I uploaded the pictures to, all the pictures are there but I cannot access them. The little thumbnail shows a key and lockbox and when I click on it it says Nero encrypted file. These are some important pictures for my daughter's class...please help!

Horoscope Fish

Hi, I am new to this camera and board. Just got the camera about a week ago. Ive been shooting in raw, and tried to upload photos from the SD card to my computer. I didn't realize that the little box marked "erase after importing" was checked and now the pictures on the SD card are gone. When I open the folder I uploaded the pictures to, all the pictures are there but I cannot access them. The little thumbnail shows a key and lockbox and when I click on it it says Nero encrypted file. These are some important pictures for my daughter's class...please help!
I'm going to assume you're running Windows... If so, the simple solution would be to RIGHT-click on one of the photo files. From the menu, click on the "Open With" option. Click the little box at the bottom that says "Always use the selected program..." EVERY time you want to open this file type. Now choose an application other than Nero, like Windows Photo Viewer or whatever application you want to use.

EDIT: It just occurred to me you may need to install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack. You may, or may not, need this to display your RAW images.

Open_with_disabled.jpg

LensWork

You will need a software program capable of opening the raw (NEF) files. Your camera should have come with Nikon View NX2 which will allow you to open, view and do some editing of the raw files. If you do not have the disc, you can download it here .

Mike D90

I agree with Jake. You probably have your file associations set incorrectly for these files.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It seems to me that your "Nero" program is locking your files. What I would do if I were you would be to just take a few pictures, upload your pictures exactly the same way you did and see if there wouldn't be a little box that indicates file will be locked or a password hidden somewhere there. I wonder if you had the pictures locked in the camera ?
Did you use the card straight in the computer or did you connect your camera to the computer?

I hope you find a solution and will share it with us if you do. You could be a great help to someone that come with that particular problem.

MainCarrot

OP,

Are you running Windows vista, 7, or 8?
You can use Windows Explorer or Picture Viewer.

Downloading this Camera Codec pack will help you view your raw files.
Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1970.0624) from Official Microsoft Download Center

As per windows help, here's the direct quote:
How do I view RAW pictures in Windows 7?

In Windows 7, you can view RAW pictures in Windows Explorer or Photo Viewer if you have the right codec for your specific camera installed on your PC. If you’re having problems seeing your RAW files, download and install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack. If you’re still having problems, your camera’s format might not be supported. Check the list of supported formats provided on codec pack’s download page for more info.

RAW pictures are high-quality, uncompressed files that differ by camera manufacturer. Some common file name extensions for RAW picture files include: .cr2, .crw, .dng, .nef, .orf, .rw2, .pef, .arw, .sr2, .srf, and .tif.

Follow Horoscope Fish's post about changing which program the file uses to open with.

MainCarrot

Hello vbauerkemper.

Are you running Windows Vista, 7, or 8?

Downloading this Camera Codec pack will help you view your raw files with Windows Explorer or Picture Viewer.
Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1970.0624) from Official Microsoft Download Center

As per Windows Help. Here's the direct quote.
How do I view RAW pictures in Windows 7?

In Windows 7, you can view RAW pictures in Windows Explorer or Photo Viewer if you have the right codec for your specific camera installed on your PC. If you’re having problems seeing your RAW files, download and install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack. If you’re still having problems, your camera’s format might not be supported. Check the list of supported formats provided on codec pack’s download page for more info.

RAW pictures are high-quality, uncompressed files that differ by camera manufacturer. Some common file name extensions for RAW picture files include: .cr2, .crw, .dng, .nef, .orf, .rw2, .pef, .arw, .sr2, .srf, and .tif.

Follow Horoscope Fish's post about changing which program the file uses to open with if you do not have programs like photoshop which can natively open raw files.