Photo for your consideration

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-

Here is a photo that I would like to know your thoughts on. It was taken on a summer morning with some very nice light. Thanks for looking. Im looking for both good and constructive thoughts as well. I'm trying to improve my composition and wonder if I'm seeing things the way others do. Bench Blur Small.jpg

Sincerely- Doug

fotojack

OK....#1............don't worry if you see things the way others do. Shoot what's pleasing to you! We all see things differently, and no two people see the same things from the same photo.
#2..........this is a nice shot. Nice bokeh in the background, nice soft blur in the foreground....focus on the garden bench. A nice simple shot. It would help if we knew what lens you used, what mode you shot in, ISO, etc. In other words, the EXIF data. You're doing good, Doug. Don't stop now. :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Like Fotojack said, it is a nice simple shot. The EXIF would be useful as well to know whether you post processed (cropped, etc.). It appears that you intended the bench to be the main subject, right? From a composition point of view and if it was my image, I would probably look to crop it so that the bench wasn't in the center of image.

Joseph Bautsch

Good shot Doug. Good critique by Jack and Eduard. Another variation maybe for next time would be to have someone sitting on the bench reading a book or something of that nature. I also agree with the bench not being in the center. I would crop the shot so that it is below the center line. How did you get the effect of having the bench in focus with the background and foreground out of focus? Nice effect, good capture.

Curt

Hi Everybody-

Here is a photo that I would like to know your thoughts on. It was taken on a summer morning with some very nice light. Thanks for looking. Im looking for both good and constructive thoughts as well. I'm trying to improve my composition and wonder if I'm seeing things the way others do. View attachment 1658

Sincerely- Doug

Nice DOF, very nice.

ohkphoto

Snow White
don't worry if you see things the way others do. Shoot what's pleasing to you! We all see things differently, and no two people see the same things from the same photo

I think this is a very important point to remember. This is a beautiful photo, Doug. It gives me a feeling of serenity and hope. The bench is very clearly the center of attention and that's where the eye travels first . . . nice use of light, angle of shooting to get the light by the bench. I think because of the bokeh and the interesting flowers in the front, it works to have your bench in the center. While that normally is not good practice, it works here.

For me this photo is fine as is . . . I don't think I would have done anything differently. It evokes a feeling of peace . . . would be a great photo for the front of a church program.

Good job, Doug!

Ruidoso Bill

I also like the colors, composition and your use of DOF. Really good job, some see Church I see a retirement community brochure. Thanks for sharing your image.

fotojack

Doug, I took the liberty of recropping your photo to show you what I and the others were talking about. This is strictly MY interpretation of what I would have done with it, so don't construe this as being the ONLY way to do it. This is just to give you an idea of what options you have as regards to composition. :)

View attachment 1661

Last edited:
I'd have to say that fotojack created a more powerful composition - out of the same photo. I do like the color of the flowers in the foreground, but the bench being the main focus, it gets used more effectively here.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Nice crop, Jack. Goes to show you how composition/cropping completely changes a photo . . . that's why you, as the photographer/artist have to be clear about your vision.

fotojack

I wanted the viewer to focus on the bench, and the flowers in the foreground seemed to work for me. As I focus on the bench, I can still see everything around it, but I'm not distracted by it's surroundings. I hope I've made myself clear on this. :)

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-

Gee,,,,where do I start. First, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on this photo, and their tips for a better photo in the future.

Fotojack, thanks for taking the time to show me a different composition by re-cropping the photo. I will tell you all that I used a selective focus in Photoshop to get the "bokeh" in the photo. I thought a bit of softness might give it a punch.

I have learned a lot in regards to how and where to compose a photo to make it work. I'll be posting more for more feedback.

Thanks to all of you !!! You are the best !!!

Sincerely- Doug

Last edited by a moderator: